Hosting your own website.

Hi, If anyone is hosing there own website what programs are you using, I have just got some hosting and was wondering what others are using.

My host has these that I can use for free, or would you use something else?

WordPress
Simple Machines Forum
Joomla
Gallery
MediaWiki
OpenCart

Cheers Jim

• I’m thinking of just a website and a forum, so Simple Machines would do for the Forum but what to use for the website, or make your own up with Frontpage?

Jim

• Anyone used Serif WebPlus X7 to build a website or have used the program.

Jim

• Sorry Jim, double-dutch to me!!

• Jim,   I use Wordpress.com.   Wordpress hosts it, it works well, is free and I don't have to know about servers etc.

Wordpress.org is basically the same thing but you need to host it and know all the html bits and pieces.

If you have a gmail address then have a look at Wix which seems OK.

• I was using Microsoft's Visual Studio, but having recently bought a new machine, I don't like the newer versions.

That said, Google Blog Spot does me fine for the moment: www.Loz.Pics

Lawrence

• Thanks, Hazel, I have had a some experience but would like a nice web page, sadly I cannot register WebPlus X7 till Monday so will wait till then so I can use the program.

Thanks, Bob, my host already has Wordpress installed sadly I have never used these before so not sure what to use, I will wait till Monday when I can get a Key from WebPlus X7 to use their program and will let you know.

cheers Jim

• Just missed your post, Lawrence, thanks for that will look it up.

Jim

• Very nice, Lawrence, your web and photography is very nice, love the bike shots :)

Jim

• Hi Jim,

There are some very good platforms out there now and I did a lot of research a couple of years ago to build a website from scratch myself.

At that time the best platform for my needs that I could find was WEBS and I can assure you that I researched lots of different platforms and read loads of user and independent reviews as I knew nothing at that time!

I really don't think that you should need to pay money as there are plenty of really good free sites about to get started with, the only thing is as you increase it's usability and in particular storage capacity by adding more pictures you will probably have to upgrade it a little. Therefore see if you can do this for free or if actually paying a small fee might actually be worth it.

Also think about what you want to use it for, if it's for a business or you want a real professional feel then its worth paying a small amount for your own domain name, i.e. higgy.com instead of higgy@botchedwebsites.com. just worth giving some thought and remember a domain name isn't expensive and with some packages you can get a deals including domain names which might prove more cost effective.

If you want to see what a WEBS website looks like and remember that I built this form scratch with zero web building knowledge and to be honest not a great deal of computer knowledge then HERE is my website to compare with others. I will say that I haven't updated it for some time so this is for a look at the platform and what I did from scratch more than some of the pictures on there! I would add that it is easy to update and completely self managed so I think a good platform but compare with others before deciding for yourself.

Hope this helps a little?

Best

Higgy

• I also host my own website. I use wordpress as they editor but it is hosted by one.com