Some Robin Photos

"Home, home again. I like to be here when I can..."

Nice to have a patient subject who doesn't mind the camera. No cropping required :-)

Unicum arbustum haud alit duos erithacos

(One bush does not shelter two Robins)

Zenodotus (3rd Century B.C.)

• Thanks everyone. I seem to have the best of both Worlds here. I have one Robin that comes to the kitchen door and feeds from my hand and another that is happy for me to get close up for photos. Obviously I only get a very small window into their daily lives, so I don't know if they encounter one another during the day. I assume they must have at some point. Given that they are both here each day, they clearly don't have major issues. That said, there is at least one other Robin within 'singing distance' and there is quite a bit of Territorial Singing in the morning. Only GR sings in my garden. Hopefully the pair of them will remain in the area and provide me with more photo and feeding opportunities. D-Day for the garden is rapidly approaching, the skip is due next Monday and then 4 tons of soil is due on the Wednesday. I just hope the weather holds out, cars don't park in the delivery zone and my asthma behaves itself!

• Hi MC,  great photo additions of BR,  its so good to see he's a regular visitor now and hope he stays around for some Christmas photos in the snow  :)    

Regards, Hazel 

• Aw so delighted MC that BR is back in full view and giving you such pleasure. He is gorgeous. My fellow is back and singing his little heart out.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

• Here's GR, perched by the kitchen door, just an hour or so ago. Today was a milestone for both of us. Firstly, he came to me when called and once he had landed on my hand for his mealies, as he usually does, rather than flying to a nearby twig to consume his snack, he remained on my hand and ate two more, before flying off. Even BR never remained on my hand for that length of time.

• Unknown said:
    Today was a milestone for both of us. Firstly, he came to me when called and once he had landed on my hand for his mealies, as he usually does, rather than flying to a nearby twig to consume his snack, he remained on my hand and ate two more, before flying off. Even BR never remained on my hand for that length of time.

Awww!  Sounds like you've got a friend for life there.

Our herring gulls are red listed birds.  Think about that the next time you hear some flaming idiot calling for a cull of them.

• I've probably got a better chance of winning the lottery than have a Robin land on my hand, I don't know how you & Hazy do it! Fab photos.

Best wishes

Hazel in Southwest France

• A healthy supply of live mealworms always helps. Also, unless you happen to be visited by one of our migratory (British) females, it is unlikely that a Robin will come close enough for that to happen in your part of the World. European Robins (on the mainland) are much more shy and retiring than their UK cousins. We are very fortunate to have developed a relationship with the Robin over the centuries.

• Nice update MC, those Robins sure do love their mealworms :)

Regards, Hazel 

• Unknown said:
    European Robins (on the mainland) are much more shy and retiring than their UK cousins.

That explains a lot MC. The closest I've got is about 6ft when I've been thowing them grubs & worms whilst gardening, & that's a rare occurance (the Robins not the gardening).

Best wishes

Hazel in Southwest France