Bad pics of fab wildlife - part 2!

Old thread here: http://www.rspb.org.uk/community/chat/f/2542/t/22684.aspx

Because the original thread has, fittingly enough, 'gone bad', it's time for a new 'Bad pics' thread. Here, we celebrate the very worst of our wildlife photography. The subject matter is always brilliant, but the photos are very much not. If it's out of focus, chopped in half, frighteningly under- or over-exposed or terrible in some other way, it belongs here :)

Here's my first (first of many, no doubt) contribution to the new thread, a Goldcrest taken at Barnes yesterday. You need only minor incompetence to take a blurry photo, and the same to take a really under-exposed photo, but to do both in one go requires a special level of cackhandedness.

• @ Trevor, thanks for the confirmation of Carp and the species of Crucian, much appreciated; I'm more familiar with Large Mouth Nannygai, Red Snapper and Gummy Sharks LOL
    @ Mike .... these carp were so huge, I couldn't get them in frame as I had the 300mm x 2 and they were almost down by my feet just at the edge of the water; they are only 15 mins walk from the front door so might go take another peak to see what is around on the mere and woodland areas.
  • Very nice portrait of grass, Hazel, lol! The fish (and pond) look a bit like my brother-in-law's except that his pond is muddier (or it was the last time I saw it a few centuries ago before the pandemic...) and it has about a hundred times more fish in it.

• Unknown said:
    The fish (and pond) look a bit like my brother-in-law's except that his pond is muddier

This pond is a little bigger Ann     LOL         The carp were in this large mere    (sorry,  only got a photo of the mere from earlier winter months !  )     

• Unknown said:
    @ Trevor, thanks for the confirmation of Carp and the species of Crucian, much appreciated; I'm more familiar with Large Mouth Nannygai, Red Snapper and Gummy Sharks LOL

@ Mike .... these carp were so huge, I couldn't get them in frame as I had the 300mm x 2 and they were almost down by my feet just at the edge of the water; they are only 15 mins walk from the front door so might go take another peak to see what is around on the mere and woodland areas.

You're welcome Hazel.

Carp will grow quite large, and I think they were a staple part of medieval diets. When you consider how large koi can grow, so long as there is space in their habitat, they will just keep growing, which I think is an ornate way of nature facilitating life while respecting the available habitat.

• Pity these Black-necked Grebes and chick were almost in the next county as far as taking photos were concerned but was great to slmost see their offspring for first time

- get your microscope out  !

exit stage left !     young grey waggie

exit bottom stage ....

• Yep, Hazel, Your 'pond' is a bit bigger than b-in-law's--yours rightly ought to be called a lake!  But his fish are at least as big or bigger than those.  Is anyone fishing there at yours?  I wonder if b-i-l's family are eating them rather than going shopping in this pandemic...must ask if we ever manage to see them.  Might be at a non-Covid funeral sometime--Mr GB's Godmother died last week at her actual home--not in a care home, but we may not be in the 30 permitted as there are children, grandchildren, friends, etc..  She was in her upper 90s--lovely lady.

• Sorry to hear about Mr GB's Godmother passing away and as you say, gatherings are restricted to 30;  it was a blessing she was in her own home as many die in care homes or hospitals.

Unknown said:
    Is anyone fishing there at yours?

There is angling allowed on some of the ponds on the parkland as long as they have a licence but I think all fish are returned to the water;    where these large carp were was on the much larger Mere.    On the ponds they also fish for Pike.         

• Unknown said:

Yep, Hazel, Your 'pond' is a bit bigger than b-in-law's--yours rightly ought to be called a lake!  But his fish are at least as big or bigger than those.  Is anyone fishing there at yours?  I wonder if b-i-l's family are eating them rather than going shopping in this pandemic...must ask if we ever manage to see them.  Might be at a non-Covid funeral sometime--Mr GB's Godmother died last week at her actual home--not in a care home, but we may not be in the 30 permitted as there are children, grandchildren, friends, etc..  She was in her upper 90s--lovely lady.

That's a shame, my condolences to Mr GB and yourself, I'm sorry to read about Mr GB's God-mother, esp with the limit on numbers at gatherings.

• Linda257 said:

Someone is shoving their pecks out, a bit! Scream