Birding Packed Lunches

Paul A's picture of his packed lunch has inspired me to start this thread. What do you have in your packed lunch? If you prefer to dine in style, which pubs, RSPB cafes or takeaways do you recommend? Pictures would be good too.

I'll start with our normal:

• Cheese and onion sandwich
  • One (or two for a full day) energy bars
  • One pack (each) of cheese and onion crisps
  • Bottle of tap water

Our best ever lunch (late) was in Sardinia. We'd just finished a 12 mile walk in 35 degree heat and had core temperatures rather hotter than the sun. We staggered onto the terrace of a sea-front cafe and ordered huge bowls of Italian ice-cream with half litre of Peroni  chasers - wonderful :-)

"Let loose the Kraken!"

• Oh, chicken or duck one tomorrow then? Rofl at that mental image!!!

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• Who you calling chicken??!! Lol

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• Hi folks, back in August when I was on holiday in the Highlands, this thread came to mind one morning before we were going out birding. I decided that I’d take a few shots of the preparation steps for our packed lunch…as you do.!! I do realise that this has the potential to be one of the most boring posts ever posted, but we’re here now, so off we go.!! The first shot shows the basic ingredients, which are as follows; Two seeded rolls (only the best for us y’know), a margarine/spread type stuff (low fat….obviously), sweet chilli dipping sauce, cheese and chives spread, and two surprise ingredients wrapped up in the kitchen foil, (I am after all trying to make this post as tense and exciting as possible).!! The wee round thing that looks like an irregularly shaped egg is actually a single rogue tomato. If I was going to add eggs, they would have to be boiled, and there would need to be two of them at the very least.!!

The basics.

The seeded rolls are then cut through the middle, and an even application of the (low fat) margarine/spread type stuff is applied to both the upper, and to the lower inner surfaces of the seeded rolls. Applying the spread to the lower surface only is unacceptable, and should never be done under any circumstances.

Although this next shot looks as if we've had a visit from a low flying Goose, it is actually only the Cheese and Chive spread in the first stage of its application.

The Goose spread.....sorry.....Cheese and Chive spread, is then distributed in an even and uniform fashion over the lower sections of both seeded rolls.

The first of our surprise ingredients is Corned Beef (contain yourselves please).!! I can’t remember where I read it, but apparently it’s 'ideal for sandwiches or with salad'. The single rogue tomato has also somehow managed to muscle itself into the photo…(the wee red thing at the upper left).!!

The Corned Beef is laid across the lower surfaces of both the seeded rolls, trimmed around the edges, and then the single rogue tomato is sliced up using a sharp knife and applied as evenly and fairly as possible between both the masterpieces…..sorry…..seeded rolls.!! It is imperative that the tomato is applied above the trimmed layers of Corned Beef, this prevents the lower half of the seeded rolls from becoming soggy whilst in transit.!! A light dusting of table salt is applied to the tomato at this point. Incidentally, never ever use a filleting knife to slice the tomato, the last time I tried that the doctor told me that it was a really stupid thing to do.!!

By now I’m sure you’re wondering “what’s to prevent the upper sections of the seeded rolls from becoming soggy whilst in transit?”. The first of a two part solution is....Seriously Strong Cheese (obviously).!!

As an extra ‘failsafe’ precaution, the second, and final one of our surprise ingredients is used to seal in the single rogue tomato’s moisture. Beef Topside Slices, a premium quality cooked topside of beef.!!

The beef topside slices are positioned onto the seeded rolls, and once again, we trim them around the edges for a neat finish.

Since we were on holiday at the time, I decided to let my hair down a bit and apply a token amount of Sweet Chilli Dipping Sauce to the upper sections of both the seeded rolls. Never apply Sweet Chilli Dipping Sauce to the lower section of seeded rolls, these lower sections are only to be used for spreadable dairy products.!!

Now that all of the ingredients have been installed in the correct order (and using the correct procedures), both of the seeded rolls can then be ‘closed’. It is of the utmost importance that this be done without pressing too hard (this can cause the single rogue tomato to exit the seeded roll at high speed, with the real potential for serious injury). It is also important to close the roll with caution and dexterity; this prevents any damage to the ‘hinge’ (the small fragile area that joins the upper and lower parts of the seeded rolls together).!! If you break the hinge you’ll have no choice but to discard the seeded roll and start all over again.!!

Closed seeded rolls, with hinges intact.

The next shot shows the seeded rolls in a packed lunch container. I've added a few extras to go along with them. Note the two boiled eggs which I think I may have mentioned at the start.!!

Oops....nearly forgot the peaches.!!

The finished article.!! The green water container was bought near Achiltibuie, in the north west of Scotland, around twenty years ago; it can hold a full bottle of wine…….apparently.!!

So there you have it, a Birding Packed Lunch, not that I’m overly fussy about these things.!!

Paul

My bird photos HERE

• Do any of the crisps find their way into the rolls prior to eating? If not, try it next time.

Unicum arbustum haud alit duos erithacos

(One bush does not shelter two Robins)

Zenodotus (3rd Century B.C.)

• ROFL !!  Still got tears of laughter streaming down my face after reading about this latest packed lunch and detailed instructions !  a brilliant read Paul and must say it looked jolly tasty, so much so, I have had to go in the fridge to see what there is to eat as only had a light dinner !  I agree about the tomatoes making the bread soggy - ugh, nothing worse but I'm wondering how you keep the sweet chilli sauce from soggying the top half of the sandwich ? !!  maybe you need to add crisps first  lol  

Regards, Hazel 

• O'h dear Paul, what a read, haven't laughed so much for ages!!!BUT next time hubby wonders what to chomp at I shall take great pleasure in pointing him in this direction.

Lot to learn

• What a detailed packed lunch box that was!! I have to say I like corned beef, spreading cheese, roast beef, tomato, cheese, chili dip, but all together! Still trying to guess what that tastes like. Yum to the Royster crisps. What is they our flask? Tea, coffee or soup?

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

• The Sweet Chilli Dipping Sauce is 'industrial strength' to retain the moisture.!! The flask is filled with tea, no milk, and a small sprinkling of sugar.

Paul

My bird photos HERE

• I agree! Those red apples look delightfully tasty! Although the bird seed looks rather appetising.. Do you mind me asking what kind of cheese that is?

• A masterpiece of sandwich engineering if I may say so :-)

"Let loose the Kraken!"