Bird friendly soffit boards

Noticed this morning that the lovely starlings that nest/roost in my roof have now broken through the soffit board. It was getting wet and mucky anyway so needed replacing. 

Now, I am more than happy for the starlings to stay there, but with the new soffits, it's unlikely they'll be able to get in (a massive cause in the decline of nesting/roosting spaces for them).

I've searched without success so far for bird friendly soffits. Some say cut a hole (not keen on that idea)! Others say to put up nest boxes instead. Not keen on that either as these need to be cleaned, and I neither have a long ladder, nor the head for heights to do it each year!

Any ideas please? 

Thanks!

• Thanks Alan; appreciate your reply! Just not keen on cutting a hole as no idea where to do so and how big, especially if the starlings then turn their beaks up at it!

Can't believe with all the bird lovers out there that there isn't a market for such a thing!

Nest box I'm afraid would be left to get on with it once installed, but then their current nest in the roof is left to get on with it!! Lol!

Thanks again! :-)

• Hi Rockwolf, surely if bird friendly soffits/fascias existed they'd have entrance holes cut into them regardless - you've got to make a hole for them to enter one way or another.

You could put up boxes under your new eaves, they don't strictly have to be cleaned, think of the numbers of natural nest sites which are never cleared out each year.

In terms of entrance size, i think a 45mm hole is standard for Starlings. I know Swift box entrances should be no higher than 30mm high to exclude Starlings - in which case, you could make an entrance slot say 35mm tall by 75mm wide which would also work for them.

Mike

• Thanks Michael. Useful info on hole size too! :-)

You're quite right about the bird friendly ones having holes regardless, but I suppose it'd just be easier to have it all ready rather than have to arrange for someone to cut a hole as I don't have such equipment!! Lol!

Will ask whoever I get to quote the job if it's something they can do, or have ever done!

• Any updates since 2014? .I’m not gong up a ladder or cutting holes but happy to pay for someone to install starling friendly soffits.
    Thanks
  • I recently upgraded my fascia boards and soffits to upvc, i am hoping to still get the we summer visitors that made a nest in my fasia and soffits in the past.

Not sure what you call these birds however i know they migrate from Africa when the spring summer season is near.

• Hello Robbo i am not trying to generate leads, i simply linked out randomly incase any readers did not know what fascias and soffits where, i also do get birds yearly who make a nest around my guttering and soffits, fascias.

They start to sing from first light, so i am hoping i have not hindered them this year upon there yearly return.

Thanks