fratching over the sunflower seeds

there was a lot of perch hopping and bombing going on yesterday between the goldies, siskins though the greenfinch seemed to maintain an air of dignity.

I also really do have a one-legged blue tit hanging around- literally

first siskin with greenfinch

greenfinch with 2 siskins

siskin with goldie

goldie with goldie but trouble approaching from behind

siskin attack

golie response

all hell breaks loose

meanwhile greenfinch takes control

calm is restored

and at last a chance for the one-legged BT to hang out

• The Greenfinch is just jealous of the exceptionally good looking Siskins imho.Goldfinches only care about.......Goldfinches, lol. The BT wins EB`s "Star of the Day" award. Great sequence-AB.

• A lovely collection Andy;  the Goldies and Siskins are such colourful birds and it's wonderful to see the three species of finch together;     yesterday we even had the Chaffinches and Bullfinches joining in the group so it was a real Finch Day   lol

• Fantastic colourful photos of richly colourful finches Andy ! Thanks for posting

Well done Micolo

• Great photos Andy, the goldies are brilliant! I've topped up my feeders today with fresh sunflower hearts and black sunflower seeds!

• Love the photos, Andy--thanks!  Our 30+ Siskins have gone now, but when they were here we just bought a couple more feeders so there was room for all of them as well as our regulars, so we rarely saw any disagreements!  Now if only our male Blue Tit would stop harrassing the Long Tailed Tits, all would be calm and peaceful here--LOL!

• Had to look up 'fratching' as new word for me!  Lovely pics AB although feel sad for LongJohn BT - best send him to Hazy as she has a well stocked field hospital on the go!

GB - I also have a pair of BT"s here who incessantly chase the LTT pair whenever they are all in the garden together - first time I've witnessed this behaviour !

• Hi Andy and Wendy--fratching is a new word for me, too!  I just love this forum--always something new to learn!

Wendy--It is the first time we've seen this aggressive Blue Tit behaviour, too!  I wonder if it has something to do with how close their nest is to our feeders.  In previous years I think most birds nested across the street in a couple of natural areas owned by the local council and not in our back garden, but I saw Blue Tits going in and out of a nest box 2 doors down in a neighbour's garden and that is far closer to our feeders than the trees and bushes across the street.  Maybe Mr BT is feeling especially possessive about our feeders, despite the fact that we have more than enough for all the birds!  Fortunately, the LTTs are persistent and keep coming back!

• dont you love local words. chances are they would be looking it up in next village from here too!

• Hi GB - I know that LTT's are nesting across the road fairly high in shrubbery but cannot get a fix on BT's site as they fly off in more than one direction & I lose sight of them!  Now that my LTT pair are here(after not having any for three years) they are around several times a day & even boldly feed with Starlings on the pastry block feeder - amazing little cuties!!

• Well AB - if you treat us to a local word every time you post your lovely pics then we will soon learn the lingo!!