Arctic Roll still life !

Cool bird

• Michael B said:

Wendy S said:
    He's still out there Hazel

My lips are sealed....        

. Phew !  yes I believe so :)  thanks Mike.        I got a kind tip off on that and he happens to be the most accurate expert at IDing dunnocks in particular,  despite rumours to the contrary  ;)    I missed most of the postings due to ongoing health appointments but good to know all's well and all aboard the good ship lollypop  :)

• I just imagine his postings with a Dr McCoy voice :)

Damn it Jim- it's worse than that , it's a Dunnock!
  • seymouraves said:
    I just imagine his postings with a Dr McCoy voice :)

Damn it Jim- it's worse than that , it's a Dunnock!

.   LOL S,     I remember 4 years or so back when we were staying in Peterborough before doing a few days on  N.Norfolk coast bird watching the hotel we were staying in had a Trekkie fans /Convention ..........   seeing was believing !       off next to explore The Eagle and Swan Nebulae no doubt if there were any birding men in tights. !   

• I'm pretty sure most regulars will have worked out the double life of Robbo, keeps us all interested
  • lol Itisadunnock ! I'd forgotten about Bones ...... I'm beginning to think we have a few secret "Trecksters" out there ;)
    I go back in years to William Hartnell and Dr.Who. lol
  • Sorry Rob, forgive me but I've not been keeping up with the forum properly with various ongoing hospital appointments but guessing from what you said that all your previous posts disappeared including the useful House Martin ones which were really valuable to have via search facilities. Hopefully, no more posts will be deleted and a warning will be issued prior to this type of action if the moderators are going to strike out posts. Bring back Mrs T. !

• To be quite honesr Hazel I think it is a long time since there wss a post that deserved to be deleted. It's a fairly open forum and as such we should expect disagreement among users as long as it is Relaxedot a personal slanging match surely a warning from the mods would be enough. On another  forum I'm  a  member  of  the  biggest  crime is to reveal  the location  of  nest sites we might suggest  public execution  for that Relaxed

• Wendy S said:
    On another  forum I'm  a  member  of  the  biggest  crime is to reveal  the location  of  nest sites we might suggest  pub ic  execution  for that

I agree Pete that locations of nesting sites should be kept out of the main public domain;   one of the private permit reserves I am a member of have asked that people do not report publicly any rarer species as last time they published the sighting a "football crowd" of tick listers turned up and despite it being permit only, descended en-masse and caused quite significant damage to the habitat.   I'm sure most enthusiastic birders respect both the bird and habitat but if there are large numbers of people turning up it can sometimes cause chaos.     One of the growing areas of concern at the moment is wanton acts of vandalism which is so sad,   one wooden hide was replaced with a concrete double storey building.     Going back a few years, the glass was smashed so replaced with safety glass and that didn't stop the vandals as they use large stones to smash at the glass which didn't now break but enough pressure to push the holding screws loose so they could then prise the glass out which necessitated the replacing of the safety glass with metal, lockable roller shutters.       It's hard to believe what people are capable of but sadly a fact of life.        Parkgate on the Wirral being one such incident when the salt marsh was set fire to recently destroying habitat, eggs, animals :( and in a place designated as SSSI ). with such birds as Hen Harriers, Marsh Harriers, Bitterns, etc.    

• I first came across exampled of bad hide vandalism was when I was spending a lot of time in Cumbria away from the lakes. The hides at Heysham were the first I had seen made from converted cargo containers and the local vandals tried to destroy them. The hides at RSPB Hodbarrow were concrete blocks which at that time were just holding their own against vandalism. Thank goodness for the teams of volunteers who seem to magic our hides back into use

• County recorders get all the fun jobs:)