The (very fun) wildlife (non-bird) art thread

I promised to start one since we're not all just bird-loving artists. Birds are great, but we all have other passions. :)

Since many of us love and are inspired by nature, this thread is for any artwork related to all things wild and untamed, be that fungi in dappled woodland light, the patterns of rock fissures, moths, bluebells in spring, etc. There are no rules (art, rules?) but there should be some recommendations, as follows:

This is a fun thread.

This is a fun thread, not just for finished paintings, ready to mount and frame.

This is a fun thread.

Any medium, any size, any format, anything goes.

This is a fun thread.

(I'd prefer no pets please, but this is a personal preference. Feel free to ignore me.)

To start, inspired by the little squirrels that came this morning to enjoy some seeds in my garden, here's a charcoal sketch in my sketchbook.

'Catch me if you can!'

• Thanks Maggy, I appreciate all the links you bother to include. I have heard of them (NGS), and I have plans to get out more but there is so much to do in my 'studio'. Nor am I familiar with working en plein air. In fact, bringing all my equipment, managing my board/paper, brushes, palette, not to mention the essential water pot, is a nightmare to plan. I have yet to visit a RSPB reserve, though I've been meaning to.

I actually thought it might be an idea to start sowing some seeds myself this spring. I suspect there may be a few rogue sunflowers popping up in the garden this summer thanks to the tits. I have lots on my list already, but whether I'll be successful is another matter altogether. I am gardening pathetic. I'm quite worm-terrified too. Great for the birds, not for me.

But for those others/rarities/oddities/exotics, I will definitely have to make the effort. Have also been meaning to visit the Botanic Gardens in London, not to mention Kew Gardens. Right now, I can't be bothered in this weather to visit any parks though the branches are bare and perfect for bird-spotting. It's about time I put my new camera to use. I can't believe how many more knobs a DSLR camera has.

I hope we see a rendition of a blue poppy from you sometime? And thanks, I should upload that old one of mine just so that the difference is more evident. Look forward to yours..:)

• I wasn't thinking so much of you working outside - just getting to have a look at the plants if you wanted to.   I used to not be able to get much done outside at all - now I do quick small "thumbnail" sketches - usually in pen - sometimes also using water colour pencils or crayons.

see my photos on Flickr  http://www.flickr.com/photos/maggyn/

• I think I need to that's why I mentioned it. Being outside means I can't fiddle and just capture the moment, hence why I prefer not to take photos. I've been to so many events where people spend the entire event watching through the lens recording it, almost as if watching it at home on TV. If you asked them their memory of the event itself - atmosphere, place, etc, they have no recollection, but what they do have is a photographic record.

I'm not getting much done as I'm packing and subsequently annoyed. I hate wanting to do something and having a time limit.

• hope you enjoy your holiday - and that you manage some painting!

• Thanks, nothing stops me. My palette will be by my side always!

I'll see how many wildflowers I can paint. Maybe you can identify for me since I am quite new to them.

• I'll certainly try to ID but a different part of the country - probably lots of stuff I don't know - also, mebbe not a lot out in January ?!    

• 'Bit' of a hiccup and missed my flight - first time for everything....

But have heard of them described as free spirits so a few may still flourish. Besides, given the way i paint you'd have a hard time identifying them no doubt...!

There's a birthday in the house and there are lots of blooms to tempt me, especially those bright gerberas that always seem to say 'paint me - now!'.

Anyone that would love to contribute, please feel free to do so. This is a relaxed thread, just to thrash out ideas and keep one motivated, learning, growing and all importantly, at work.

• sorry you missed your flight - did you manage to get another one okay?   look forward to seeing your gerberas!

• haven't been doing much painting this week (except at art class which was draped life drawing - not suitable for this thread) - here is an attempt at a wild yellow iris (Iris pseudacorus) - graphic pen and acrylic

anybody else been painting flowers (or wildlife)?

• Maggy, nope lol, I am back at home and have delayed my visit. Must say, the birds welcomed me happily and I gladly welcomed them back with open arms even if I was away a few hours, but today discovered the local feral pigeons have found my garden. The local high street is two mins away. If the neighbours start complaining, that's it, they're going to take it to the council. My parakeets are noisy as it is, but they won't put up with pigeons. I am quite uneasy about all this. And truly, these pigeons are fearless. I can put on a show of aggression but they just look at me like I'm deranged....

And I am not familiar with that iris, and from your work it looks complicated but irises are more complex than the usual flower shapes. I only know another common, wild iris, that frilly purple one. It looks quite becoming and you've made a good effort to keep the colours fresh.

On gerberas, they always wilt before I get round to having a go. I'll see if they can wait another day and get something down on paper.