Answers to cryptic Quiz !

• In reply to RoyW:

Morning Roy,  I seem to be having trouble converting into Wingdings either in Word or Powerpoint method and it's proving more cryptic than my quiz  lol      Perhaps I'm doing something wrong but it seems to say it is a screen shot and it won't convert ?     The only way I could do it is to convert my own text to Wingdings and visually check each answer comparing the symbols which would take a bit of time !

If Tony or Paul can have a go I'd much appreciate it,  I may just be doing it the wrong way;   copy, pasting into Word or Powerpoint and  trying to change font to Wingding..... which isn't working for me  :(

Alternatively Roy, just PM me  (sorry, this will me you will have to friend me  lol )  and PM the answers to me - in English   lol.      

Regards, Hazel 

My Flickr. photo  link HERE 

• In reply to HAZY:

Roy has posted an image in png format. Unless you've got some Optical Character Recognition (OCR) software I don't think it's possible to convert it into readable text which you could reformat. Even then it might not work if the image is not of sufficient quality.

I think what Roy should have done is attach the Word file using the Options tab which you could then save. I haven't tried it myself so can't vouch that it works.

Alternatively, you could ask Bletchly Park to see if you can borrow an Enigma machine. LOL

Regards,Tony

My Flickr Photostream 

• In reply to HAZY:

Post edit:   I've gone through your answers one by one Roy and they are all correct except for No.7  where the first word is incorrect.  

The boy done good !!

Regards, Hazel 

• In reply to HAZY:

Many thanks Tony,  that was very good of you;   in the end I converted my list into Wingding and compared each symbol !

Regards, Hazel 

• In reply to TeeJay:

TeeJay said:

Alternatively, you could ask Bletchly Park to see if you can borrow an Enigma machine. LOL

ROFL   only just spotted the last comment Tony  !      

Regards, Hazel 

• In reply to HAZY:

Time for the answers to the cryptic quiz so if you are still working on it look away now lol  

My thanks to all of you that participated and congrats to those who completed it: 

1st Tony with full house of 22;    2nd Roy W with 21½ /22  !     & 3rd Hazel with a last count of around 18,  think Maggy and Paul were close to that tally too although some of you may well have completed it over the weekend.   

Sorry, the copy/paste came out a bit skew-wiff so hope you can make out the answers  ! 

1)            Group of happy dogs   (8)                                                                                              Wagtails

2)            Policeman who's a bit on the short side   (5, 6)                                                         Small Copper

3)            Ancient musical instrument that plays false notes  (8)                                            Lyrebird

4)            Group of birds although surprisingly, no strings attached  (5)                               Kites

5)            Hair-raising prank       (7, 4)                                                                                           Crested Lark

6)            Latin typeset size repeated - its black & white   (4, 4   or 6)                                    Pica Pica or Magpie

7)            Busy worker untangling fibres in woollen mill     (6, 3)                                              Carder Bee

8)            Slippery character but an excellent mathematician     (5)                                        Adder

9)            Moggy stirs from its slumber  (9)                                                                                  Kittiwake

10)         Could mean a death sentence   (8)                                                                                Blackcap

11)         A magical bird        (6)                                                                                                       Merlin

12)         Bevy before bedtime      (8)                                                                                             Nightjar

13)         The very excellent Ms. Clarice     (6, 8)                                                                          Superb Starling

14)         Almost out of breath      (6)                                                                                              Puffin

15)         Luxury car in Mumbai      (6, 6)                                                                                         Indian Roller

16)         Pelican Rot (anag.)        (10)                                                                                               Pratincole

17)         Mind big rock  (anag.)     (11)                                                                                            Mockingbird

18)         A rather dreary Captain    (5, 7)                                                                                       Dingy Skipper

19)         Expansive area of grassland or moorland   ( 5, 5)                                                         Large Heath

20)         Talks a funny language and bows head, it’s all Chinese to me  (8, 4)                        Mandarin Duck

21)         Your dog is trying to tell you it’s feeling a little under the weather !   (4)                Ruff

22)         Eats too many Lancashire Hotpots  !         (8, 6)                                                            Northern Gannet

Regards, Hazel 

• In reply to HAZY:

Thanks for the answers Hazel, I cannot believe some of the ones I should have got as I knew them, others like the Indian Roller I would not have ever guessed, great quiz.

Regards Shane

My Photos in Flickr.

• In reply to Shane:

A huge thanks from me too Hazy, my excuse for Pratincole? I get caught on English names, now if it had been Glareole........ I should have got Ruff though!! No excuses, great quiz!

Best wishes

Hazel in the Gironde estuary, France

• In reply to Noisette:

I ended up with only 7 :-)  I can't believe I didn't get a few more but great fun all the same. It always looks easy once you’ve seen the answers, thanks for putting this together Hazel.

My bird photos HERE

• In reply to Paul A:

Thanks everyone, once again, thanks for participating :)

Regards, Hazel