Time to bring some light-hearted relief with a bit of a teaser quiz ..... The answers are mainly birds or general bird group (not all UK species), but there may be be an insect thrown in to the mix !
We will start with no hints other than the clue - so think outside the box lol
1) Group of happy dogs (8)
2) Policeman who's a bit on the short side (5, 6)
3) Ancient musical instrument that plays false notes (8)
4) Group of birds although surprisingly, no strings attached (5)
5) Hair-raising prank (7, 4)
6) Latin typeset size repeated - its black & white (4, 4) a bird ! English version (6) would be accepted too.
7) Busy worker untangling fibres in woollen mill (6, 3)
8) Slippery character but an excellent mathematician (5)
9) Moggy stirs from its slumber (9)
10) Could mean a death sentence (8)
11) A magical bird (6)
12) Bevy before bedtime (8)
13) The very excellent Ms. Clarice (6, 8)
14) Almost out of breath (6)
15) Luxury car in Mumbai (6, 6)
16) Pelican Rot (anag.) (10)
17) Mind big rock (anag.) (11)
18) A rather dreary Captain (5, 7)
19) Expansive area of grassland or moorland ! (5, 5)
20) Talks a funny language and bows head, it’s all Chinese to me (8, 4)
21) Your dog is trying to tell you it’s feeling a little under the weather ! (4)
22) Eats too many Lancashire Hotpots ! (8, 6)
My Flickr. photo link HERE
Wow Hazy, great idea, I reckon it'll be a few days with that lot! Anybody ever tell you that setting the clues is the easy bit! LOL
Hazel in the Gironde estuary, France
In reply to Noisette:
LOL Hazel !! the clues are "loosely" based so you need a good imagination ha ha !
In reply to HAZY:
I enroled Ron & between us we've got 12 hopefuls. Will keep looking!
well done, I might have to rejig clues if they are too obscure lol
Did you get these from the 'Times' crossword Hazel? Lol
my photo's here
In reply to turboman:
lol Terry, Mike does the Times cryptic - I just try fill in some the blanks and the easier ones !
Brilliant idea, Hazel. This forum needed some livening up.
I may have all but three which I'm stuck on. How do we give the answers without spoiling it for others?
My Flickr Photostream
In reply to TeeJay:
TeeJay said:How do we give the answers without spoiling it for others?
I would just look on it as a joint enterprise and list what you have so far, other's can fill in the missing numbers and if some of the clues are a bit obscure then I'll try rethink them lol
Have you got 16 TJ?
Yes, I have Hazel.
There's one I can't get and some others are a bit iffy.
What I've done is put them in a Google Docs spreadsheet, and here's the LINK
I trust no one else peaks except Hazy..
PS It's the last one I can't get No 22
We spend 90% of net income on conservation, public education and advocacy
The RSPB is a member of BirdLife International. Find out more about the partnership
© The Royal Society for the Protection of Birds (RSPB) is a registered charity: England and Wales no. 207076, Scotland no. SC037654