Jumbled up Jigsaw's #3

Now, I'm not one for taking the Huff easily, but I think I was perhaps way too easy on you with Jigsaw #2 and you all seemed to get the answer without too much trouble. This one may just prove to be a tad more difficult, or maybe not. No clues this time, not even a small one.!! You may have to phone a friend for help this time. Only one piece missing from this particular jigsaw, and I seem to have placed the piece upside down....Ooops.!!

PS: I'm keeping a watchful eye on some of you...you know who you are.!! :-)

• I don’t have a 5 string banjo but I do have a 4 string one which belonged to my father who played jigs & reels on it; I’ve never got around to trying playing anything on it though. I also have a mandolin which I dabble with occasionally, mostly trying to pick out Scottish or Irish jigs & reels. Bluegrass was never really my top choice in music genres although I do like a bit of Alison Krauss & Union Station now and again. Perhaps it’s not ‘hardcore’ bluegrass, but enjoyable nonetheless. I also like to dabble a bit with the tin whistle, again, Scottish & Irish jigs & reels. I’m not particularly good on any of the instruments though, but it’s the enjoyment that counts.

• Nowt wrong with a bit of Alison Krauss Paul it is just how folk music has evolved over the years.One reason I was not keen on going electric was that I went to some solo gigs on an old motor bike and sidecar so not a lot of space for amplifiers and such.Still got a flat backed mandolin but no way the fingers work on that now.I always fancied trying to do Irish tunes on whistle but never got round to it,also always fancied blues harmonica but not enough breath for that now,at least not on long tunes.

Sorry to others if we have taken this thread over for music but guitarists can be as bad as birders when they get onto their favourite subjects,we are quite harmless really !!

• After I stopped playing in the rock band I went all ‘folky’ and bought my first mandolin, just a cheap one to see how I would like it. I eventually upgraded to a better one which is a bit easier to play, but I still play the guitar much more than the mandolin. My weapon of choice just now is a Taylor GS mini, a fantastic wee guitar which sounds great and is a real pleasure to play. Never did any gigs after the band finished but a few friends and I go over to the annual folk festival at Linlithgow and do a few numbers at the open sessions. All good fun, but thirsty work.!! The occasional pint of foaming ale always helps to keep you going though. :-)

• We have 1 or 2 pubs in the Dales that have sessions some weekends but it is a bit of a drive back unless you want to camp,more a summer occupation

• Well well the hidden talents are coming out in the boys now!

• Lynn L said:

Well well the hidden talents are coming out in the boys now!

Maybe that is a rash statement without an audition !!

By the way Paul that little Taylor looks interesting if space is short I sometimes take a 3/4 sized flamenco guitar I brought back from a birding trip to Spain,smashing tone and a lot of volume,handy for crowded Dales pubs.

• The Taylor is a great wee guitar, I fell in love with it I soon as I picked it up. The tone and volume always surprise folks when they hear it, and as I've already said, it's a delight to play.

Lynn L said:
    Well well the hidden talents are coming out in the boys now!

Perhaps 'talent' is a rather strong term Catlady; you haven't yet heard me singing 'Ye canny shove yer granny aff the bus'.!! :-)

• Paul A said:
    Perhaps 'talent' is a rather strong term Catlady; you haven't yet heard me singing 'Ye canny shove yer granny aff the bus'.!! :-)

Limpy and I are very talented.  If either of us started singing we could clear almost any building in minutes.

• When I was first learning to play guitar some friends and I formed a band. We managed to get a rehearsal room in the form of an old hayloft at a local farm. At one of our first rehearsals, the farmer came in with his wife and kids and said, "ok lads, lets hear what you've got". We launched into our first number and within 20 seconds or so the farmer and his family just turned around and walked straight back out without saying another word.!! We still laugh about this yet.  I prefer to think that we were perhaps ahead of our time in our musical style.!! :-)

• That's what used to happen to Alice Cooper and his band when they started out - their live act was apparently so extreme most people couldn't handle them!  Ironically this effect led to their first record deal.