Sillyettes #2

A few more Diabolically Darkened Denizens in their natural environments. Please feel free to have a guess at them if you fancy it, it's just for fun. It always seems as if they’ll be ‘too easy to guess’ when I’m blacking them out, but that may only be because I know what they are already.!! Perhaps they will be too easy, perhaps not. I often wonder if folks always identify birds using the same methods or characteristics so if you feel like it, you could perhaps say why you think which bird is which, maybe we all might learn things that we hadn’t really thought about before. Maybe not though.!! :-)

• As you know I can't tell a Moorhen from a Coot    lol    

1.  Duck

2. Corvid

3. Duck

4. Sea bird

5. Duck

6. Passerine        lol  

• I can see you've all been having fun while I've been away. Clever idea, Paul.

Here's my guesses

1. Eider
    2. Rook
    3. Shoveler
    4. Razorbill
    5. Mallard
    6. Meadow Pipit

• Unknown said:

As you know I can't tell a Moorhen from a Coot    lol    

1.  Duck

2. Corvid

3. Duck

4. Sea bird

5. Duck

6. Passerine        lol  

Blimey, Hazy, that's informative!!

• lol Clare,  I could have said a mallard drake for no. 5 with that  hint of a curly tail  lol

• Hello Paul,

I've just returned from nightshift, but how can I sleep when there is so much fun around? So I'll have another try:

1. Eider Duck

2. Rook

3. Shoveler

4. Razorbill

5. Mallard

6. Robin

O my, this was hard! I'm not good with sea-birds and ducks, either, so this a good opprtunity for practising. Please repeat this silhouettes-quiz now and then.

Kind regards, Bente

• Hmmmmmmm.....perhaps number 2's not a raven, then.

• Once again I've been easily defeated.!! All Sillyettes have been Identified correctly...again.!! Original images are as follows:

1. Eider Duck (female).

The strong bill with the sloping head I think gives this one away in my opinion. (Also the seaweed in the background was a clue to this being a marine duck).

2. Rook.

I can see why this may have been mistaken for a Raven as the bill does look very large. For me, the 'forehead' seems to be more pronounced in Rooks, as opposed to a flatter looking head in both Carrion Crow and Raven.

3. Shoveler (juvenile)

I tried to be a wee bit sneaky with this one (due to the body size being relatively small in relation to the head and that distinctive bill). Alas, to no avail, you seen through my ruse.!!

4. Razorbill.

The bill shape and distinctive 'head up and back' stance were my intended clues for this one.

5. Mallard (male).

Hazy pointed out the clue with this one; the distinct 'curly tail bit' at the rear.

6. Meadow Pipit

Those fantastically long hind claws were the diagnostic feature with this one. Aren't they just marvellous.!!

Thanks for having a bash at these, it was only for a bit of fun. Perhaps I'll have my revenge the next time.!!

Finally, although nothing to do with the quiz, I had a rummage through some of my photos and found this one in an old folder.....especially for Hazy. :-)

• Lol Paul !!!      love it, thank you :)

• You'll have noticed that I had a 'hissy fit' & didn't play this time Mr Quizmaster!! Lol. Actually was too much caught up in other peeps needs, well done everyone, I actually thought the last one was a Robin ... Faaaiiilll!!

BTW, does that leg ring read Moor-coot or Coot-hen??  Can't quite make it out! Ha ha