Hello From West Midlands. I have a query??

Hia Folks

I wanted to join a bird watching forum, and RSPB seemed the obvious choice.  I am in my 40s, married with teenagers.  I've been a bird lover all of my life.  I also love to draw and paint birds and small animals.

I'm from near Wolverhampton, West Midlands.  Where is everyone else from?  If you reply, please tell me a bit about yourself.

I'm new to this website, and it all seems very strange at the moment.  

My question is...... How do I get the same birds to my garden that my neighbour gets?  Our gardens are obviously right next to each other.  They have bird feeders in trees right outside their kitchen window, and they get loads of Goldfinches.  We can see them gather in the bigger trees we can see from our house.  Sometimes these goldfinches venture into our garden, but rarely.  My birdfeeder is the type on a "stand" with hooks and the nuts/seeds etc hanging from them.  It's exposed, even though trees are nearby.  So I have moved my feeders (and I have got stuff that Goldfinches like to eat as I bought it for this reason) into trees nearer my house.  Now I wait????

Am I doing the right thing?  Obviously I will have to see, but I am impatient for results.  

Alison

http://ceneyresearcher.proboards.com/index.cgi?

http://www.youfreeweb.com/crazydaizy/

• hi crazy daisy

Welcome from me Barnsley Lad

As the name suggests I am from Barnsley Sth Yorkshire

Took ealy retirement 5 years ago after being made redundant.

This Forum is very friendly and we have some very Knowledgable members.

love to see some of your drawings and pictures.

Patience is a bib thing for your garden birds and if a neighbour has got them  they will also come to your feeders in time.

Sunflower hearts never fail to attract

Good luck

Ray

a good laugh is better than a tonic

• Thank you for your reply and lovely to "meet" you.  I need to re-stock my bird food so I will look for sunflower hearts.  

Alison

• Anonymous
    Anonymous 08/01/2012 15:44 in reply to Barnsley lad

Hello and welcome

I'm from the UK but currently living in Oman in the middle east.

Look forward like Ray to seeing some of your paintings

Andrew

• Hello CrazyDaizy

Welcome to the forum. I'm from Berkshire but there are people from all over the country including a few from overseas.

The forum can be a bit confusing to navigate at first. Can I direct you to the Forum Map in the very first thread on the Home page. If you open or download the file given there it will open in Adobe Reader which most computers have installed. This shows you the structure of the Forum which helps to identify the best place to post messages. In fact it will do more than this because all the links and headings are clickable and will take you to the forum page directly.

Birds are creatures of habit so if they've found a good source of food in your neighbour's garden they will keep visiting there. They also like to be near shelter so try siting your feeders closer to a bush or tree where they can quickly retreat to.

I don't know whether you use sunflower hearts but they are are one of the most popular food types for many birds. I think probably patience and trial and error is the key. I'm sure others will give you good advice.

Most of all enjoy the forum but if there are things you want to know (eg how to post photos) don't be afraid to ask.

Tony

My Flickr Photostream 

• Hi Alison,

Big welcome from the North East of England.

Pop in and have a read of my profile if you like :0)))

I have a feeding station infact ,quite a few of us do .Sunflower hearts bring in lots of goldies

for me but i do know a lot of members  use nyjer too.

I certainly agree with Ray about the patience bit too ha ha but it will bring large rewards.

Hope you enjoy it here.

Good luck

An optimist sees the beauty of the complete rose.A pessimist sees only the thorn .

• Welcome to the forum CrazyDazy! I'm from West Kent and live in rural surroundings with a dairy farm on all sides. I love gardening and am interested in wildlife conservation and photography, and am an active member of a large camera club. I love watching the birds in my garden and feed them regularly (together with an army of pheasants who love to join in).

Sounds like you are doing just the right thing to attract the goldfinches. They do need cover. Dense planting like holly or some other evergreen shrubs/trees are ideal for them to leap into at the first sight of a predator. The niger seed they love, but strangely enough (as Ray says) the sunflower hearts will be their favourites. I find that they only eat the niger seed when there is no room left on the sunflower heart feeders, or if the sunflower heart feeders have run out!

You do need to be a bit patient, but they will soon get to know you and know there is a good supply of food in your garden too.

All the best. Keep us up to date with your progress. If you have a camera, photos are always popular on the forum.

bye for now

• Thank you for all of your lovely replies, you sound a nice bunch of people.  I have provided a link to my website which should have at least one of my paintings on.  It also has my flower arrangements (I'm a qualified florist) and photos of my crafts etc.  I think there's a link from my profile (??) It's great to share my Birdwatching enthusiasm with others.  Why did I not think of joining this website years ago?? haha

Alison

• Hi Alison

Welcome to the forum,  i hope you enjoy it here, we are a friendly bunch,

so any problems or queries just shout out ,someone will help you out i'm sure.

I'm in Norfolk, I have lots of birds on my feeders, my Goldies like Nyjer seeds, if they are empty then they go for sunflower hearts, thats all i put  out along with fat balls,

would love to see some of your pictures

• onjly found this forum myself yesterday and have had some very friendly and informative replies to the question i posted, will definately be a regular attender.

i am originally from the midlands, not far from wolverhampton but now live in devon

regards rachel

• Hiya :-)

Im 20 miles away from Wolverhampton in Shrophire.

Only started really feeding the garden birds over the two real bad winters but always had water bowls / dishes out which every bird loves from massive wood pigions to tiny blue tits.

Now have two feeding stations (pole things) one for seed the other for suet products in a effort to keep the starlings in one place (it isnt working) and four ground feeders for blackbirds mainly. I do have a large group of house sparrows in fact I think its two groups merged into one as there are 20 - 30 at times.

Dont seem to get the pretty colourful birds but when a gold finch turns up its a bonus for me Im sure they all wait until I have gone to work and then turn up and have a good old feed without me knowing lol.

There is a section on here where you can post your art Im not that talented so I just sit and admire those that are.

A very old Shropshire Lad.