Fledgling Swallow

Hi -

I have a baby fledgling swallow on the ground - the parents are nearby and keep swooping down to check - but, I had read somewhere that a swallow should never be on the ground and will fledge and fly immediately??

Should I be worried? Should I do anything to help it?

It looks perfectly happy hopping on the ground - but, I am unsure as to what to do - can someone please offer me any advice?

With many thanks!

• Some advice on this RSPCA link which may help ... www.rspca.org.uk/.../swiftsandswallows
    Or you could contact  http://helpwildlife.co.uk/   to find help in your area

Good luck

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• Thank you - I have been watching it and it tried to fly and then couldn't - and, then flew onto a box outside the back door, and now I can't see it! So maybe it has managed to fly?! His/her parents are around as there are low flying swallows out back - I will keep an eye out - but, I was just concerned as I had read (via the RSPB) that swallow fledglings do not ground and cannot fly off the ground - hopefully this little one will prove us all wrong and fly properly really soon!
  • I keep reading in all different uk websites that swallows cannot take off from the ground so am wondering if yours has been predated?  Would be glad to hear differently!

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• Excuse my ignorance, but, what does predated mean?

He is still out there - moved into the main garden now - he flies a little way and then stops - he does not seem to be injured but everything I too have read says that Swallows cannot take off from the ground - I am really worried about him, I am now going to look at any local wildlife sancturies around here and see if I can get some definite help and/or advice!
  • Predated means being eaten by a predator, a bird or animal that eats other birds or animals!
    Good idea to ring a wildlife rescue centre to find out what the official advice is from someone in the know!

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr