Great tit fledgling struggling to fly

Hi,

Should great tit fledglings be able to fly as soon as they have left the nest?

One of ours has decided to jump ship at 7:30pm.

He is currently on the ground fluttering his wings but unable to fly. Just about managed to get upright.

Magpies are swirling around, Im holding them off for now, but if I leave this little guy he will be dinner pretty soon.

The parents are continuing to feed the other chicks in the box but the little dude isnt getting any attention. Shall I just leave be?

• Oh no! Poor little thing! :( I would try and get him back with his siblings if possible, Magpies, cats and others could attack him otherwise. I hope you managed to save him somehow, only seen this late before bed.
  • I left for an hour and little guy just sat there, parents didnt come down to feed him despite his calls.

He didnt look at all ready to leave the nest, struggled to move about and then gave up and then just sat there. I saw him a day or so ago popping his head out of the box and then going back in.

Im assuming one of his siblings though it might be funny to give him a boot whilst he was taking a peek out of the box!!

Anyways in the end decided to pick him up and place him back into the box. Parents saw me so took a good 45 minutes before they went back into the box. They would come and sit on the fence, fly up to the box but not go in. Eventually they went back in and seems like everyone is happy.
  • Awwww, he looked so defeated sat there looking up in your photo :( Happy to hear he's back with the others again and safe, good job :)