Blue tit best disturbed!

Hi all

ive just returned home to find my super helpful mother has weeded the garden-but to find she’s moved my nest box and had it stood in the middle of the garden most of the afternoon!

I had been sure I’d heard chicks earlier this week but mum was adamant it would be empty-I took the lid off and there are about five fledglings sat in a nest. They have feathered up but from a quick look may still have a week before they’re ready to fledge..

I’m so upset! I’ve put the lid back on super quick and returned the box to its original position but haven’t seen any visits for an hour now-what should I do!???

• Well you have done the right thing by replacing the lid and puting thre box back to where if was. The parents may come back to feed and look after the chicks but sadly the damage may have been done already by moving the box to begin with. They quite possibly have abandend the nest. No inferference with nests, boxes at all, once a nest has been started, it is illegal. Mum was obviously helping and maybe not have known this. Fingers crossed.
  • You can only hope that the feeding instinct of the parents is very strong and they return to feed their brood. it's one of those things that was not intentional many people do not understan that it is illegal.