Blue tits help!!!

• Happy to say that did a make shift repair to the box. as gently as possible. That evening the parents came back and are back to busily feeding again! So pleased! I did speak to the local RSBP bird sanctuary near me and the said it's unusual for the parents to abandon and that they're probably just watching from a distance to make sure safe again. She was right!
  • Happy to say that did a make shift repair to the box. as gently as possible. That evening the parents came back and are back to busily feeding again! So pleased! I did speak to the local RSBP bird sanctuary near me and the said it's unusual for the parents to abandon and that they're probably just watching from a distance to make sure safe again. She was right!
  • In reply to Jen5074:

Certainly, in your case, re roof being ripped open by a magpie, quickly placing something sturdy over the top is sensible to keep it secure, dry and it is both quick and potentially less stressful for parents and occupants of the nestbox than just leaving it.

Re risk of abandonment, there is a higher risk of abandonment at nest building and egg laying stage than at chick stage, and it varies between species. Laws have to be simple for people to understand so not interfering with nest sites regardless is what is required as a law.