Blue tits help!!!

• We have a blue tit box with a camera in situ. Since yesterday something ?( magpies)has made this hole. There were about 8 chicks and they should fledge within about 7 -10 days should we try and cover it up? 
  • More likely Woodpecker - covering it up would count as interference and is against the law and may frighten adults away - it is tough standing back and letting nature take its course.
  • It was a magpie as we caught it in the act. As there were still live chicks in the nest, we couldn’t stand by and do nothing so my husband got up and fixed a metal plate over the hole in the Hoping that our interference wouldn’t frighten off the parents. Pleased to say it has worked and they are continuing to care for the ?2 remaining chicks.
  • We're in a similar position (Sorry to jump on your thread)

Just come across this thread and need advice please?

I have blue tits nesting in a bird box in the garden. The parents were constantly in and out relentlessly taking food.

This morning I caught a magpie rip half of the roof off the box leaving them vulnerable. I have covered for now with a temporary cover but since this happened parents have completely disappeared.

The clicks are chirping like crazy and clearly starving. Not sure what to do?!?
  • Am afraid you have done no good by interfering as sad as it is as you have just frightened away the parents ...its nature and it can be cruel sometimes and we need to accept that...you do know it's actually unlawful to interfere with a live nest.

You could contact the link below for advice but its usually their busiest time the now with people going against the law and trying to help fledglings they find on the ground (which is perfectly normal) or chicks (because nest have been abandoned due to predation or human intervention)instead of just letting nature be
    helpwildlife.co.uk/.../
  • You could stack three or four boxes one inch in front of the box or lean a plank against it. This could never be seen as interference, on top of the fact that the Oxford Dictionary describes interference as an intervention without invitation or necessity.

Some people may disagree with this statement, which I respect. But as you may deem it necessary for various reasons, imho it wouldn't constitute interference. The only choice your making is whether you are helping to raise Blue Tits or Woodpeckers.

Good luck with it and I hope it ends well.
  • If the parents don't return you could attempt recording the chirping and playing the audio recording back, amplified and in different directions. I consider it remotely possible that the parents are still in the vicinity and would recognise the voices of their kids, depending on weather conditions and general noise. Morning feeding in my experience starts around 7am and dinner is usually served around 8pm. Those times also have the least amount of human noise polution.

Good luck.
  • Pleased to say we have 5 chicks as the parents had hidden them under a duvet of feathers etc and they are thriving so our intervention paid off.
    • I caught this chap going for bluetits, spikes kept it away
  • Happy to say that did a make shift repair to the box. as gently as possible. That evening the parents came back and are back to busily feeding again! So pleased! I did speak to the local RSBP bird sanctuary near me and the said it's unusual for the parents to abandon and that they're probably just watching from a distance to make sure safe again. She was right!