Invertebrates in the garden this afternoon

I havnt had a good few days  recently . And birdwatching wise havnt been able to get out and about. I havnt bren out much this week due to something personal going on 

I been mainly in the Garden. If any of my messages ever sound repeatative sometimes or if I don’t pick up on some social cues very well I apologise. Im on the autistic spectrum. So can happen. it’s not something I do on purpose. Im makeing lots of mistakes. 
apart from that I did manage to go out in the garden. 
And it was very sunny I even had a hoverfly Hover abouve my head. I would of sent this on insect 2022 but I don’t think it’s a good idea  I don’t know if animation  is defiantly ok too or if it’s just photos  so have just made a post for now. 
I hope you enjoy the photos I took. 

• Im back, it’s very sandy compared to Severn Beach but that might be cause Severn Beach is a mudflat. I did see some Wildlife there like Bumblebees and a butterfly but it was

mainly Wildlife that live in the sand. But sea Wildlife was the kind of Wildlife I was looking for 

https://community.rspb.org.uk/wildlife/f/photography/280647/western-supermare-beach/editpost?ContentTypeId=0

• Zo, the link you shared is only accessible to you for editing purposes.

For those getting the access denied message, try the link below.

https://community.rspb.org.uk/wildlife/f/photography/280647/western-supermare-beach/

• Sorry. I went out early this morning for the day today. If I had time Before being busy I would of mentioned to let people know but I was unable to. Thanks for letting me know about that link I wasn’t aware of it.
  • Zo Clark said:
    Sorry. I went out early this morning for the day today. If I had time Before being busy I would of mentioned to let people know but I was unable to. Thanks for letting me know about that link I wasn’t aware of it.

No worries, I do the same myself from time to time, post a link for something I'm signed into, and folk can't access without my login details.

• I went to edge yesterday afternoon. And this morning I had to do lots of tidying with bird food and other things.  yesterday when I went to edge with someone there were lots of flys and they were landing on us and things like that and he wasn’t keen on them and without even looking at them he just assumed they were horse flys. I wasn’t bothered by them and I just ignored them. They might of been they might not of been but either way he didn’t like them and his complaining put abit of a damper on trip.

but I tryed not to let his complaining ruin my day too much. The Orchids definitely brightened my day.  

they might of been horse flys at the common since it so happens to get livestock there  even though they do bite humans they prefer livestock.

https://www.wildlifetrusts.org/wildlife-explorer/invertebrates/flies/notch-horned-cleg-fly-horse-fly

Im going to Slimbridge this afternoon which I havnt been to for a couple of years

• Im back from Slimbridge now. Someone wanted to come to Slimbridge with me too. But I was still able to go off on my own and take pictures. There was a very entertaining goose that followed the person around everywhere convinced they had some bird food even though it was me that had it. The person I was with gave it a nickname cause of that. It was very funny
  • Insects, like plants and that includes all vegetation, have so many species I really do struggle with ID, add to that no book can realistically list and show each species. I remember as a child seeing a book on British moths, it was huge!

And that was purely moths, nothing else!

I've seen your Slimbridge posts, and you put me to shame, its been decades since I was last there, my one and only visit, and I think it hadn't long opened to the public, so that will date my visit.

It is on the list....

• Phobias are more commonplace than many folk would like to admit, and particularly with many urban folk, because many during childhood don't come across many things that are in the natural world. I'm so glad my son was brought up with animals around him, and I spent time getting him out and about.

How I overcame my fear was by trying to understand them better first by finding out about them and finding out what myths  that people tend to be told at a young age.  Some are very generalised and May or may not have a certain amount of truth but is misleading. 

.  I find some kids tend to be brought up to think Wildlife is like An enemy.  or bad guy, or monster from that is just out to get them and it probably doesn’t help that some Wildlife on TV is misrepresented.  and some actually portray some easily misunderstood or overlooked creatures as something  to hate, want to harm or kill, or avoid. for example bats are usually represented on tv as things that suck your blood. Or come out at night to scare you rather than something catching insects. Or used in haunted settings for example. But we don’t have vampire bats in this country. There from a different country And our bats eat insects not blood. And even though it’s true they come out at night they don’t come out at night to scare people. 
    I also tryed to get to know Wildlife betterto help overcome my fears which did help. Then I overcame them one at a time. Then I studyed and researched them  and I got out and about in Wildlife places to try and get to know them better. they were very interesting. Of course that wasn’t the only thing I did to help me overcome my fear of Wildlife I used to have but thought you might find it interesting that is one of the things that helped me to face and overcome it. When people I know talk about there childhood past times in Nature I didnt show interest in doing most of them as a child and as a teenager and it’s only after i overcame my fear Iv found out just how  much things I missed out on. Sorry  I havnt been commenting much. I have been takeing photos and videos of Grasshoppers and sending them off to the Biodiversity network for the NBN atlas but  I have also been very busy getting ready to go on holiday somewhere else in this country, like haveing a blood test which is one of my phobias for the GP in Brighton next week and have spent Friday packing and then went to the Boating lake. On Saturday I went home for the day and then I spent this morning and some of the afternoon finishing my packing  aswell.   

• Zo Clark said:

.  I find some kids tend to be brought up to think Wildlife is like An enemy.  or bad guy, or monster from that is just out to get them and it probably doesn’t help that some Wildlife on TV is misrepresented.  and some actually portray some easily misunderstood or overlooked creatures as something  to hate, want to harm or kill, or avoid. for example bats are usually represented on tv as things that suck your blood. Or come out at night to scare you rather than something catching insects. Or used in haunted settings for example. But we don’t have vampire bats in this country. There from a different country And our bats eat insects not blood. And even though it’s true they come out at night they don’t come out at night to scare people. 
    I also tryed to get to know Wildlife betterto help overcome my fears which did help. Then I overcame them one at a time. Then I studyed and researched them  and I got out and about in Wildlife places to try and get to know them better. they were very interesting. Of course that wasn’t the only thing I did to help me overcome my fear of Wildlife I used to have but thought you might find it interesting that is one of the things that helped me to face and overcome it. When people I know talk about there childhood past times in Nature I didnt show interest in doing most of them as a child and as a teenager and it’s only after i overcame my fear Iv found out just how  much things I missed out on. Sorry  I havnt been commenting much. I have been takeing photos and videos of Grasshoppers and sending them off to the Biodiversity network for the NBN atlas but  I have also been very busy getting ready to go on holiday somewhere else in this country, like haveing a blood test which is one of my phobias for the GP in Brighton next week and have spent Friday packing and then went to the Boating lake. On Saturday I went home for the day and then I spent this morning and some of the afternoon finishing my packing  aswell.   

I think some people generally, of all ages, are taught to see wildlife as the enemy, an interference, along with most peoples lives evolving around the more materialistic things, than what life really is about.

A classic is watch people when bees or wasps come around them, especially if they're eating or drinking something sweet/sugary and how they react, trying to frighten them away by waffting hands, books, magazines, hats or whatever.

An interesting thing to try, and I love cream teas, is place a very small amount of jam in the middle of the table, and allow a bee or wasp to settle on it. Once settled, which doesn't take long, that bee or wasp is more than happy, until, another comes along. But calmly sit back and observe, they soon sort out who has the jam, and usually, the second visitor moves on to pastures new.

I, along with my family, nearly got kicked out of a Nat Trust in Cornwall for doing just that, but once they watched and saw to their amazement what happened, they left us alone. Sadly, a visiting  family on a nearby table did the normal human reaction, and I think one got stung, but we never had any agro with the bees.

A win win in my books.

What really concerns me, science is working hard at making our existence less dependant on nature, and successfully so with vertical/subterranean horticulture.