Invertrevretes in the garden this afternoon

• In reply to Mike B:

do like frogs, and I hadn't seen that post, but I have now.  

thats good. Cause I used to have a Phobia even though I liked them I  avoided most Wildlife in the past.  I wouldn’t even go near them. My Autism gives me high levels of Anxiety makeing me more likely to have proper Phobias and had a phobia of all sorts of things which limited me to where I can go. I only overcame my fear from approximately 2015 or 2016 period but  it took a year or two to overcome It  entirely. But I decided To cause I wanted to go to more places and do more things. And Cause I avoided most of it and turned down opportunity’s to see things like Frogs, Butterflys and various others. I had never done things like crabing before. And I turned down lots of Wildlife opportunitys so havnt ever been able  to watch the Butterfly and Moth life cycle or watch the frog life cycle and have never had my own pond or Frogs before so it was really exiteing. I had help with makeing a pond in the garden  in 2020 

• In reply to Zo Clark:

Zo Clark said:

do like frogs, and I hadn't seen that post, but I have now.  

thats good. Cause I used to have a Phobia even though I liked them I  avoided most Wildlife in the past.  I wouldn’t even go near them. My Autism gives me high levels of Anxiety makeing me more likely to have proper Phobias and had a phobia of all sorts of things which limited me to where I can go. I only overcame my fear from approximately 2015 or 2016 period but  it took a year or two to overcome It  entirely. But I decided To cause I wanted to go to more places and do more things. And Cause I avoided most of it and turned down opportunity’s to see things like Frogs, Butterflys and various others. I had never done things like crabing before. And I turned down lots of Wildlife opportunitys so havnt ever been able  to watch the Butterfly and Moth life cycle or watch the frog life cycle and have never had my own pond or Frogs before so it was really exiteing. I had help with makeing a pond in the garden  in 2020 

That's good that you've overcome your phobia, in that you can be with frogs, even though you still may feel uncom, because nature is a fascinating thing, as you know only too well.

You probably know I have a small garden pond, with a fountain and integral filter to keep the water aerated and filter out the silt etc. The pond is around 1.5mtr L x 0.5mtr W and 0.5mtrs D, with a couple of goldfish in. I just love sitting by the pond chilling and watching the fish just go about their daily lives, especially when feeding on invertebrates in the pond.

Mike

Flickr Peak Rambler

• In reply to Mike B:

It is. Cause I had a phobia of many other things too. I also had a phobia of domestic animals ranging from Chickens, to livestock and many others and Exspeacially dogs and cats. Though I still have alot of Phobias I overcame both my domestic and wild animal phobias. I started with domestic animals and livestock first then that gave me the courage to try and overcome the Wildlife phobias after too. It didn’t happen over night and took a few years to overcome them entirely but it did work. In 2020 that was the very first time I got my own pond and I got to see Tadpoles. the frog showed up around May, June time I was uncomfortable at first even though I like them and I was exited but after watching and learning more about them I don’t get Uncomfortable around them anymore. Im still learning about the frog life Cycle by watching them though and how it works.

This year I didn’t think there was any frogs in the pond cause I couldn’t see any in April but now one has just turned up . I don’t know how many are in there but iv seen one so far. I had 3 in 2020. The frogs tend to come up most often when it’s warm and sunny and it was a warm and sunny day when I saw him this year. And it was this month I spotted him. Which is interestingly around the same time,

Fishes can be fun to watch. when I had some (until this month) They were very fun to watch eating the insects and things like that they had different personalitys even though they were both Shubunkin Goldfich. very occasionally if we get a heatwave I sometimes get a Damselfy visit the Garden if Im lucky. Do you get any frogs in yours too?

• In reply to Zo Clark:

Yes, frogs and fish will come to the surface for air on hot days. I guess it's like us stuck in a hot room on a hot sunny day, we open the doors and windows to allow the air to flow, when there is sufficient breeze to assist airflow, or get outside, particularly if there is a nice breeze, or those who have it, switch the air-conditioning on.

Days like that I'll turn the fountain flow up to help wit the aeration, then turn it back down once the heat has gone, or it churns up the silt and the filter required more frequent cleaning. With the cleaning of the filter, i then have to let the silt settle in the water for an hour or so, before switching the pump back on, or it will clog up very quickly.

Phobias are more commonplace than many folk would like to admit, and particularly with many urban folk, because many during childhood don't come across many things that are in the natural world. I'm so glad my son was brought up with animals around him, and I spent time getting him out and about.

Mike

Flickr Peak Rambler

• Hello guys. Im going to Western Supermare but I’m going to take some photos when I go

• Im back, it’s very sandy compared to Severn Beach but that might be cause Severn Beach is a mudflat. I did see some Wildlife there like Bumblebees and a butterfly but it was

mainly Wildlife that live in the sand. But sea Wildlife was the kind of Wildlife I was looking for 

https://community.rspb.org.uk/wildlife/f/photography/280647/western-supermare-beach/editpost?ContentTypeId=0

• In reply to Zo Clark:

Zo, the link you shared is only accessible to you for editing purposes.

For those getting the access denied message, try the link below.

https://community.rspb.org.uk/wildlife/f/photography/280647/western-supermare-beach/

Mike

Flickr Peak Rambler

• In reply to Mike B:

Sorry. I went out early this morning for the day today. If I had time Before being busy I would of mentioned to let people know but I was unable to. Thanks for letting me know about that link I wasn’t aware of it.
  • In reply to Zo Clark:

Zo Clark said:
    Sorry. I went out early this morning for the day today. If I had time Before being busy I would of mentioned to let people know but I was unable to. Thanks for letting me know about that link I wasn’t aware of it.

No worries, I do the same myself from time to time, post a link for something I'm signed into, and folk can't access without my login details.

Mike

Flickr Peak Rambler

• In reply to Mike B:

I went to edge yesterday afternoon. And this morning I had to do lots of tidying with bird food and other things.  yesterday when I went to edge with someone there were lots of flys and they were landing on us and things like that and he wasn’t keen on them and without even looking at them he just assumed they were horse flys. I wasn’t bothered by them and I just ignored them. They might of been they might not of been but either way he didn’t like them and his complaining put abit of a damper on trip.

but I tryed not to let his complaining ruin my day too much. The Orchids definitely brightened my day.  

they might of been horse flys at the common since it so happens to get livestock there  even though they do bite humans they prefer livestock.

https://www.wildlifetrusts.org/wildlife-explorer/invertebrates/flies/notch-horned-cleg-fly-horse-fly

Im going to Slimbridge this afternoon which I havnt been to for a couple of years