Goshawk

We have had a Goshawk land and devour two pigeons in two days on Merseyside. Anyone else had such an experience? Lived here for over 4 years but first time this has happened!

• And thanks for sharing the process!
  • Am on a small screen but looks like sparrowhawk to me

• My male Sparrowhawk took a pigeon this morning in the garden...females are larger than the males and more brown in colour so yours could be a female

• Sparrowhawk. - well done for spotting and getting a photo
  • Surprised it came back for a second pigeon in 2-3 days! We have a bunch of pigeons roosting in the roof so would this cause them to find another home?
  • I think that's when they actually eat every few days...I have bird feeders in the garden so it's an easy meal for them..

A female that's visited before....

They are wonderful birds to watch but do leave lots of confetti after their meal lol

Post edit...well my pigeons still come back everyday but that's because there is fallen food from the feeders am not sure the sprawk being around will make them roost elsewhere but maybe others will know better

• Riccro22 said:
    Surprised it came back for a second pigeon in 2-3 days! We have a bunch of pigeons roosting in the roof so would this cause them to find another home?

From the hawks point of view it's a useful and successful hunting site.  They miss more than they catch and often get harried off or startled their kills.  It's hard to say if it will cause the pigeons to move off but they might become more wary, only time will tell 

• Linda257 said:
    Stole this from Mike..he won't mind lol

First, you need to select "Use rich formatting" located at the bottom right of the textbox.

Using the tabs at the top

Select "Insert"Select "Insert image/video/file"Where it says "From" select the source, "Web (URL)/File upload/Community search"If you use "Web (URL)", then all you need to do is insert the linkIf you choose "File upload" then upload a file from your device or computer in the normal way by selecting the computer/device drive, folders and file.NOTE: If you are uploading a photo, you can change the image pixels at this point before the final upload.If you choose "Community search" using the search tool, search for the relevant posting.When you've made your selection, select "OK" to post/upload, or if you've selected the wrong file/link etc, then select "Cancel"To select the next file or link, start the above process again and for subsequent uploads.

Mike

Flickr Peak Rambler

Stole?  Stole? Scream

Seriously, its not stealing, its utilising, and good to see it being used by others to help. Thumbsup

And I'm all for it.