Good morning all. I’m new to this, and looking for advice please. Ive a box with the nest still in from last year. I was going to clean it out but have got a blue tit roosting every night in it. Would blue tits use the old nest or do I have to clean it?

Old nest.

• Good morning PB1, welcome to the forum...not sure am the best person to answer but I had a look on the site about cleaning nest boxes as you can see in the link below

www.rspb.org.uk/.../cleaning-nestboxes

I'm sure it will be fine to do once the wee yin leaves in the morning to find food as it needs done very soon before nesting season starts again.

The forum is a little quiet the now but hopefully someone with more knowledge than me shall be along soon to help further ;-)
  • I completely agree with Linda. The sooner the better :o)
  • Thank you both, box cleaned out, sealed up and camera back up and running- fingers crossed for new tenants!!
  • Hi PB1, I was going to say the same, safe enough to clean it out just now in daytime when the birds are not in the nest. If you had not cleared it out, they would have brought in fresh material to make a new nest. Fingers crossed they use the box and as you have a camera, hopefully we can follow the progress.
  • I’ve had an infestation of Rats with young.in my garden and called out Pest Control. I don't get over sentimental as i take a pragmatic view in conservation. When this has to be taken i don't get over sentimental and Pest Control where here last week on Monday and did what had to be done and will be returning on Tuesday of this week to see if what they did has been a success. All major conservation organisations in the UK have have had to take similar action if the need arrises including the RSPB etc and also the County Wildlife Trust’s. I know some won't agree. But this has to happen at times I'm afraid as there is no other way. And I'm a Life Member of the RSPB since the early 1970’s, Life Member of the Wildfowl Trust, Life Member of the National Trust, Annual Member of my local Wildlife Trust and also an annual member of the Natural History Society of Northumbria. But when this has to happen i will do this as i have many times over the years and will do again: Sorry if i sound so hard. But that’s the way it is

• Hello and welcome PB1 to the forum.

Its good that you've cleaned out the nest box, very soon =, if not already, birds will be looking for places to raise their broods.

• Thank you everyone for your kind comments. The ‘said’ bluetit is again in the box tonight. I’m SO rubbish at technology but will see if my son can help with live pictures etc.
    Regards
    PB 1