Buzzard or sparrowhawk

• In reply to Simon Tucker:

Simon Tucker said:
    Not sure ringing would be an indicator of an escape as many Peregrine nests are monitored and their young ringed in the nest.

Other way around. This does not have a ring.

• In reply to Robbo:

Robbo not sure about other areas but a large percentage of the young Peregrines in our part of N.Yorkshire are ringed at the nest through raptor monitoring schemes. Of course to be any use the ring numbers need to be read through a scope or decent photo

Pete

Birding is for everyone no matter how good or bad we are at it,enjoy it while you can

• Agreed. This does not have a ring though, so IMO is not captive bred or escapee. If it were the other way around, I.e. it was ringed, I would not be arguing that it is an escapee or captive bred as so many wild falcons are ringed.
  • I was back at work today and asked a colleague who's a more knowledgeable birder than I. He was quite convinced it was an immature peregrine. Partly cos of the dark cheek patch under eye, but more because of the behaviour of eating on the ground.
  • I'm going for immature Female Peregrine, youngsters will eat in unusual places.

My Flickr photos

• In reply to Bristlebeard:

Bristlebeard said:
    I was back at work today and asked a colleague who's a more knowledgeable birder than I. He was quite convinced it was an immature peregrine. Partly cos of the dark cheek patch under eye, but more because of the behaviour of eating on the ground.

Right guess but wrong reasoning. Both your original guesses regularly eat on the ground. Hopefully the friendly argument at home has been resolved. 

•   As discussed prev., here are two photos I took in the garden (through a window for one of them so not very good quality). It is a male sparrowhawk on the ground eating, followed quite a bit later by the same bird possibly suffering from indigestion. I did rummage under the bushes to try and work out who he'd eaten but only found one feather. I am almost certain he caught a bank vole. Same time yesterday, the vole was coming and going with nasturtium seeds in the same area. He is still there now so getting on for an hour on the ground.

• Maybe a bucket of water will help with the indigestion.....

Handy bucket, right outside the kitchen window.

• n.b. for those interested in these sorts of things, this is a third male sparrowhawk in about 2 weeks. One was clearly a youngster, but this isn't the one that was holding the territory and is a more typical size. Hopefully, the big one is coming back next year or the martins might have more of a challenging time.
  • Almost trod on him! Went out to see the remnants of victim and hawk was back on the ground next to the house. Flew up reluctantly, and got as far as next door.