Buzzard or sparrowhawk

Apologies if this causes everyone to say "Doh, obvious!", but this one is causing arguments in our home. 

• Looks like a peregrine falcon,but then I am always wrong :)

Jim

My Pictures

My Fbook Group

• I'm tempted to go with peregrine falcon, its the beard like appearance at the back of the beak that makes me think the same.

BTW, Bristlebeard, you're more likely to find anyone folk here are friendly and helpful with any query, after all, we all need to ask the question from time to time, and welcome to the forum.

Mike

Flickr Peak Rambler

• My first thought would be juvenile common buzzard as its more likely to come down to ground for prey but the previous answers have me pondering !!

Regards, Hazel 

"Each kindness shown to birds or men is sure to flutter back again" 

• Not a sparrowhawk or buzzard. Where was the photo taken?
  • Looks like an immature Peregrine.
    Adults have a horizontal barred front, while youngsters tend to have a vertical streaked front

Richard B

• Looks like a young Falcon to me most likely a Peregrine

Pete

Birding is for everyone no matter how good or bad we are at it,enjoy it while you can

• Thanks for all the help. I'd welcome any more opinions.
    Photo was taken in a suburb of Glasgow, but we live near a big park. I've def seen both buzzards and Sparrowhawks in our area before. There are also Peregrines a couple of miles away near the Finnieston crane.

I initially thought female Sparrowhawk, but then there's no eye bar and it looked bigger than a Sparrowhawk. So I'm tempted to say young buzzard. They can show so much variation in colouring. I'm surprised by suggestions of peregrine, since I thought they had darker wings. But I admit the face markings are unusual.
  • Thanks. The reason I asked re where photo was taken is I have fallen into the trap of assuming UK before, only to find out it wasn’t. Several young falcons look similar and the one original photo didn’t narrow down the field. As it doesn’t appear to be ringed, fair to say it is an immature peregrine rather than escapee or more exotic Falcon.

I am reading from this that you thought it was a buzzard. Surprised they appear in Glaswegian suburbs. This individual clearly isn’t. Wrong head and body markings, wrong prey. Darker winged peregrines are adult.
  • In reply to Robbo:

Not sure ringing would be an indicator of an escape as many Peregrine nests are monitored and their young ringed in the nest.

Simon Tucker