A sighting of a Swallow Tailed Kite in Evington, Leicestershire

This sighting of a swallow Tailed Kite has still a way to go to get  proper verification, but we have moved forward because the County recorder does think this picture is of a swallow tailed kite, but as people on this site have already said, the picture has been tampered with.  Osy explains below:

Now I have Info beside my picture of a Swallow Tail Kite

Date Taken 26/06/2021 NIKON D3300, 

f.Stop f/5 exposure Time 1/60 ISO Speed 150-400

Focal Length 42mm Max Exposure 4.6

Not sure if that helps.

Now what I tend to do with my photos, is crop them and use colour and clarity.  I can remember that I used that in this case.

One thing for this lover of taking photos is that I don’t understand much about the technical  side.

Now I know I somewhere have something where I can discarded old pictures, then later I can go into that folder? and permanently get rid of them, or put them back in Photo Locker,.  Ohh daft me If I can find that Locker!  I did find it a week or so ago, but now I cant remember ?  Any help?

When I was in that Locker, I remembered seeing some old discarded pictures of the Red Kites. but not sure, I might have some of the other I took of the Swallow Tail Kite, but I only kept the one. 

Oh I am sure there might be other discarded photos, that are not yet permanently disposed of. Ohh what was that Folder called?. Osy 

I can assure readers that Osy  regularly walks in Evington Park with his camera, which is where he lives, and he certainly did take this picture in Evington Park if that is what he says.

Also, I met a man I have known for a long time, called Steve and he is an ornithologist and does a lot of bird watching.  He said he had seen a bird that was very unusual and it was being mocked by crows.  He tried to look it up, but didn't really see enough for a proper identification and he didn't have a camera.  However, he thought that if he had seen a Swallow Tailed Kite then it would be more probable for it to have escaped from a private collection than to have flown over from South America.  If he is right, then maybe someone is saying they have lost this bird?

Helen.  (Involved because I am the voluntary editor of local community magazine called 'Evington Echo'.

• Unfortunately Helen I'm not able to confirm or deny your sighting, my expertise doesn't extend that far.

I'm also guessing this is a follow on from the previous thread "Could this be a swallow tailed kite?" (Link: https://community.rspb.org.uk/wildlife/f/identify-this/278246/could-this-be-a-swallow-tailed-kite), which I did read.

• We seem to be going round in circles. Here's the EXIF data from the above image.

Image Location: community.rspb.org.uk/.../DSC_5F00_1141.JPG
    Image Size: 3682 x 2166
    Date Time Original: 2021:06:26 16:16:53
    Exposure Time: 1/60
    F Number: f / 5
    Exposure Program: Not defined
    ISO Speed Ratings: 400
    Metering Mode: Pattern
    Flash: Flash did not fire, auto mode
    Focal Length: 42mm
    White Balance: Auto white balance
    Make: NIKON CORPORATION
    Model: NIKON D3300
    :
    Exif Version:
    Flashpix Version:
    Color Space: 1
    Pixel X Dimension: 6000
    Pixel Y Dimension: 4000
    CompressedBitsPerPixel: 4
    Maker Note: 5042
    User Comment:
    Date Time Digitized: 2021:06:26 16:16:53
    Subsec Time: 50
    Subsec Time Original: 50
    Subsec Time Digitized: 50
    Max Aperture Value: 4.60
    Light Source: Unknown
    Sensing Method: One-chip color area sensor
    File Source: DSC
    Scene Type: Directly photographed
    CFA Pattern: 19466
    Custom Rendered: Normal process
    Digital Zoom Ration: 1
    Focal Length In 35mm Film: 63mm
    Scene Capture Type: Standard
    Gain Control: Low gain up
    Contrast: Normal
    Saturation: Normal
    Sharpness: Normal
    Subject Distance Range: Unknown
    InteroperabilityIFDPointer: 19446
    ExifIFDPointer: 2372
    GPSInfoIFDPointer: 19484
    Orientation: 1
    YCbCr Positioning: 1
    X Resolution: 300
    Y Resolution: 300
    Resolution Unit: 2
    Date Time: 2021:08:24 19:30:00
    Software: Windows Photo Editor 10.0.10011.16384

I would like to hear what someone more expert than me (eg Whisling Joe) can infer from these data as well as the image. 

• Hi Tony,

Many thanks. I have passed it on to Osy, who should be able to talk to the County recorder about this It would be interesting to know what Whisling Joe can infer.

Best wishes,

Helen.
  • Hi Mike,

Yes it is the same link as above. Thank you for all you have done. I think I can't do too much more, and that it is now up to Osy to try and get a confirmation of the sighting from the County recorder.

Best wishes,

Helen.