Swallows?

Am in West Sussex close to the South Downs and this morning (Oct 1st) my garden was alive with swallow-type birds zooming about. Got a glimpse of one as it flashed by my window and it's breast looked white. I thought it was too late in the year for them to still be here. Can anybody say what they might have been? Maybe house martins? There were quite a lot of them.

• How long are the birds' forks? Swallows have long forks while house martins have short ones. I've just come back from Mull and there were still house martins there - the latest I've seen swallows is in the last week in October.
  • We still have Swallows present on the Island - 3rd brood and migratory birds. They may hold hard over the weekend to avoid battling the SWesterlies that are coming in
  • We have two adult swallows still feeding young in nest. We are in the Yorkshire Wolds.
  • We are still getting Swallows and Sand Martins passing through here in N Yorkshire not many House Martins as ewe had very few locally. A local gardener says he still has a pair of Swallows feeding young in his allotment shed the third brood of the year it may be a local record I am trying to check some old records.
  • We still had swifts up until a couple of weeks ago, but I've seen nothing of them since.

• Mike I've been contacting a neighbouring recorder and he has an old record from 1998 of Swallows fledging 0n 14th of Oct, this must have been a struggle to feed and the parents hunted a lot over the local water treatment works for fly life. It would interesting if we could have followed their fortunes when heading South
  • No more signs of them, maybe were having a food-fest before the nasty weather came in and filling up for a long journey?
  • That’s most likely Andy, I think the birds we are seeing in recent days are probably birds from further North feeding up on their long trip to Africa
  • Wendy S said:
    Mike I've been contacting a neighbouring recorder and he has an old record from 1998 of Swallows fledging 0n 14th of Oct, this must have been a struggle to feed and the parents hunted a lot over the local water treatment works for fly life. It would interesting if we could have followed their fortunes when heading South

I find it incredible sometimes how resilient nature is.

There often still are insects around during the winter period, but they're obviously not as prolific to sustain a normal summertime population of birds to loosely use the definition. Ticks are quite active at temps down to and sometimes lower, than 3.5ºC!

With having Bells Palsy, most likely brought on by a tick would you believe during October 1998, I spent a lot of time getting to understand ticks and lymes disease from an outdoor perspective, how to correctly remove them and how to reduce the chances of them attaching themselves to me. Incidentally, that particular day I was wearing short sleeved shirt out on the hills, you will have seen that photo of myself with my two border collies in another post, that was taken in Snowdonia, late October 1998.

I had a quick look back at my weather data for October 1998, and while it won't be Yorkshire, we had what looked like a mild and dry October that year.

• Michael B said:

Ticks are quite active at temps down to and sometimes lower, than 3.5ºC!

They are bad this year - ai keep finding the little swine on the dog and he can't have tic preventative due to thyroid issues