Hedge sparrows, blue tits etc

Hi, I’ve lived in Rock village, sure forest near bewdly for 18 years. In all this time I have never seen a hedge sparrow, can someone kindly tell me why.

ive put out bird feeds over the years, with the right foods for hedge sparrows, blue tits etc but they have stayed full.

have approved small bird boxes but stayed empty.

All I have are pigeons, mag pies once in a while. Did have a black bird for May years and a Robin but not seen them this year.

Is it these birds prefer city life, no so long back, parked by a Mc Donald’s, I watch 8 hedge sparrows wash themselves off in the dust before settling for the night in a low ground cover hedge 

• Hello Lee
    Not sure if you mean dunnock or one of the true sparrows there. Tree sparrows I wouldn’t be surprised to hear this about, but dunnock and house sparrow should be a shoo-in for your area. Which are you trying to attract?
  • Lee, to help us understand the scenario, can you describe, or if possible, share a general photo of your garden and feeders.

The reason why I'm saying this, is if there isn't much tree or hedge cover, which will provide refuge if they feel threatened or a predator (cats among raptors among many possible predators) are close by, they may feel it is too far to risk going for food, whereas the larger birds may feel more secure.