Spoonbill

Anyone else see the beautiful white spoonbill on Boyton Marshes tonight? We were there about 4:30. What a beautiful sight. Karen 

• Hi Karen, I can't comment on Boyton Marshes, as I'm no where near the area, but I will say is I'm jealous, I've yet to see a spoonbill.....

With the forum being very public, what I will advise is you change your user name, which appears to be your email address.

• Michael B said:

Hi Karen, I can't comment on Boyton Marshes, as I'm no where near the area, but I will say is I'm jealous, I've yet to see a spoonbill.....

With the forum being very public, what I will advise is you change your user name, which appears to be your email address.

I have seen nesting Spoonbills, not in North East England but not far from outside the area of North East England where I live and since I saw the original pair of nesting Spoonbills at this well known wetland reserve, there have been reports of 3-4 pairs of nesting Spoonbills every year at this wetland reserve, of where I saw the original nesting pair around 4 years ago at this wetland reserve.

• There's a successful spoonbill nest at Abberton Reservoir in Essex. You can imagine the Essex Wildlife Trust kept that quiet until the eggs hatched.
  • Spoonbill have been breeding on the RSPB Aire Valley reserve at Fairburn Ings which have attracted a lot of attention recently. Two birds passed over our local wetlands recently but did not stay but ended up at the RSPB reserve at Saltholme on Teeside.
  • Absolutely correct! I visited Fairburn Ings, when there was just one pair. I’ve seen reports in recent years about 3-4 pairs nesting at Fairburn Ings and also reports about breeding at St Aidans reserve close to Fairburn Ings and also reports that Spoonbills are increasing in numbers faster than previously and are now breeding in recent years more widely.

• Karen W said:

Mike, much appreciated
    Karen

You're welcome.