Help identify this bird of prey?

Hi,

Very new to this but I would love to know which bird of prey was roaming the skies above our village today.

(Mid-Devon near Crediton)

I took photos as fast as I could, although unfortunately my phone camera isn't great, so hopefully someone can identify the bird through these images. It was flying quite high, circling the fileds.

Buzzard or something else?

Thanks!

• This is a Red Kite (Milvus milvus). Very distinctive forked tail and beautiful wings, you can normally tell one from a distance. I saw one myself today, gracefully chasing a flock of racing pigeons. Thanks, Ellis
  • Oh that's fantastic, I didn't know we had Red Kites here. Thank you!.
  • In reply to Tal:

Here’s a link with some more info: www.devonwildlifetrust.org/.../red-kite
    I live in Leicestershire and I seem to see one everyday, they’re a lot more common than I once thought. Thanks
  • Lovely, thanks again!
  • In reply to ellis187:

Ellis, I love the image of the Red Kite chasing racing pigeons, a very ambitious Kite I think, I would love to have seen it catch one. They are fantastic birds to watch , I never tire of watching them even after many years.

Pete

Birding is for everyone no matter how good or bad we are at it,enjoy it while you can

• In reply to Seaman:

It was very interesting to watch, seeing it chase the pigeons in a graceful way, different to that of most raptors. Makes me think it was probably having fun too. I didn’t get to see it catch one as they went beyond my view, but what a sight it would have been.
  • Because the Red Kite has quite a weak talon grip it may not have been able to kill kits prey but yes quite as sight. Our sighting yesterday was much less dramatic, the 2 Kites were looking for worms and gruba on the edge of a midden in a field corner.

Pete

Birding is for everyone no matter how good or bad we are at it,enjoy it while you can