Rats!

We have a nature reserve behind our house and I’ve put bird feed out for a couple of months now and have had some beautiful birds using it but I’ve noticed a couple of rats trying to get into the feeder so I’ve binned it! Is there a way around it where I can still use a feeder or will it always attract rats, squirrels used to have a go at it too and didn’t mind that so much but not the rats! I’m gutted as I’ve been living doing a bit of bird spotting! 

• They do say that in the UK we are never more than 50 yards from a rat and I suppose when we put bird food out they will no doubt find it. Often it is complaints from neighbours that make people take action. Stopping feeding the birds would take away the pleasure you get from watching them. In the past we have stopped feeding for a while and the rats seem to lose interest and then try using the feeders again and see if the rats have moved on. In recent years we have stopped feeding all together in summer and restart at the start of winter. If your feeders are hanging ones it does make it harder for the rats to reach but like the squirrels they are pesistant when after food