Amazingly greedy birds!

Hello, I'm new to this site!

First off,  I have fed birds religiously for years but suddenly 2 years ago a huge flock of feral-type pigeons descended on me. Now I absolutely love the wood pigeons with their constant background coo-ing,  but I didn't bargain for 60 - 80 'ferals' sitting on my roof because (a) I can't afford the outlay on birdseed & (b) my neighbours HATE me & have come round & threatened 'proceedings' against me. Then last autum the huge flock disappeared & I was much relieved on all fronts. However, on 19th April they returned - from almost nil to 60! But why would they leave me during the low food availability months only to return en masse in plentiful springtime? I live in fear of furious neighbours once again but find it impossible not to feed hungry creatures when they gaze at me from my roof. Wish there was an answer...

1. Secondly, a brand new development this morning! A flock of starlings have eaten a full feeder of suet pellets in about an hour! I haven't seen starlings since childhood so I'm pleased, but what a noise, what desperate greed/hunger, how can I afford food at this rate, & omg, my neighbours will be on my trail once again. Must go & fill up feeder. Help...!