4k Birdwatching YouTube Channel

Hi All!

I have a handful of questions that I would like to ask some helpful members some advice on...

1 - Firstly please check out my new birdwatching YouTube channel: https://youtube.com/channel/UCspiJYA9L0tuCTWnOtlgNQw

I have recently been filming birds with a 4k camera, I am trying to capture as many as I can. 

2 - Please let me know what you think, how I can improve and what birds in particular I should try to film. 

3 - Attracting BULLFINCHES??? Whatever I try I cannot seem to capture the camera shy Bullfinches which often skip between trees just off camera around my local woods and garden. Has anyone had experience In successfully attracting Bullfinches to their feeder, if so, how? 

I hope that you can help.

EVAN

• Hi Evan,

I am new to the Community and have made a video of a Dunnock which visits my garden every day, it frolics on my Silver Sphere Water Feature flying up and sliding down while pecking its reflection, it is very funny to watch. Can you tell me how to send it in to RSPB?

I have put it on YouTube @

www.youtube.com/watch
  • Hi timcol,

Great video!!!

I'm am extremely new to the community also, I'm afraid that at the moment I am only just getting to grips with this website.
  • Hi Evan, welcome to the community, yes its a pretty clunky site but worth the perseverance in my opinion as for Bullfinches, I have had them in the garden over the years but never at a feeder, they tend to flip over fallen leaves no doubt looking for bugs

• timcol said:
    video of a Dunnock which visits my garden every day, it frolics on my Silver Sphere Water Feature flying up and sliding down while pecking its reflection,

Hi timcol

I think your Dunnock may see its reflection as a rival and I fear it may be expending much needed time and energy attacking its reflection.

I wonder if you would perhaps reconsider having a highly reflective feature in the garden as it could  cause the bird/s much unneeded stress as they gear up for the mating season.

We’ve also had many reports in the Community over the years of highly stressed birds pecking and attacking their reflections in various windows thinking that it was a rival bird they were having to deal with. It may look like its having fun, but I suspect that in this instance this is probably not the case.  

• Hi

Bullfinches nest very near my garden but I barely see them. Best place I know to film /photo them is Sculthorpe reserve in Norfolk

S
  • Thank you everyone for the comments!

.... Quite randomly I am going to Norfolk in a few months time, thanks for the tip Seymouraves.

I shall try to explore the forum for more tips to try to capture the bullfinches on film.

For my next attempt I shall clamp a flat piece of wood into a tree and place sunflower seeds across it. I hear that they don't like traditionally shaped feeders too much, and love sunflower seeds. Wish me luck.
  • timcol said:
    Hi Evan,

I am new to the Community and have made a video of a Dunnock which visits my garden every day, it frolics on my Silver Sphere Water Feature flying up and sliding down while pecking its reflection, it is very funny to watch. Can you tell me how to send it in to RSPB?

I have put it on YouTube @

www.youtube.com/watch

It was certainly a determined dunnock, and the video quality is very clear.