Help with identifying (dead) bird... kestrel?

Hi all,

I found this bird (dead unfortunately, sorry for gruesome pictures) in my garden in North London. I would love to hear from anyone about what it could be? The tail pattern made me think juvenile kestrel - I would have thought they wouldn't be in such an urban area... but I know very little about birds!

Thank you in advance!

• It's a sparrowhawk. Heartbreaking photos.

"Birds are, quite simply, little miracles - and as such they require care and consideration."

Magnus Ullman

My Flickr account is here

• Glad you posted Limpy, what I suspected but not confident enough to say!

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• In reply to Limpy:

Hello Limpy,

That's so interesting. Thanks for your help. I have never seen a sparrow hawk before.

Yes, sorry for the gruesome pics. I wasn't sure on cause of death as there were no visible injuries. Anyway, I've buried it under a lovely bush for some peace. Beautiful creature.

Thanks again!
  • In reply to Kingprincessliz:

Dead sparrowhawks in gardens are very usually due to collision with a window.
  • In reply to Robbo:

That’s good to know, thanks.

We found this one in the middle section of the garden, quite far away from the house. Could it have flown into a window and then managed to fly away and then died?
  • In reply to Kingprincessliz:

Possibly. Could also have been moved by an animal. Broken neck is often the result of window collision, so usually there is a dusty mark on the glass and the body is on the ground underneath. In at least one photo, the bill appears broken. I might be wrong though.