New to birding

Hello all.

I've finally decided to take the plunge and join the birding community. I've always been fascinated by birds and their behaviour. Not only that, but I need something to take my mind off things and I'm sure this wil help.

I'm off work at the moment and recovering from covid related heart failure. Fortunately it's almost fully recovered. 

I've bought myself a pair of Nikon prostaff 7s 8x42 binoculars (roof prism) a tripod adaptor and a new jacket (traveller 2 country innovation) a guide book to birds of the uk from the rspb and a journal to write my findings down.

I live close to Wandle Park in Croydon and have been told that there are a number of species in there to be seen including Moorhen, Lapwing, Grey Wagtails and Red wings.

I live 3 floors up in a flat and have a balcony. I want to do the event on the 29-31 January, but given the restrictions owing to covid and the fact that I'm shielding, I would have to do the event on my balcony which overlooks the A23 Purley Way.

Can anyone advide me if there are feeders that can be placed on my balcony to attract the birds so I can view them through my patio doors? 

any advice appreciated.

Thank.

Rich.

• Thanks. seen quite a few of them locally
  • Hello Rich and welcome form just outside Brum in the West Mids, heart of HS2 country.....

First, I wish you a full recovery from your Covid heart failure, and hopefully it won't stop you getting out and playing with those bins, and new camera when you finally get one.

BTW, you don't have to walk miles for good wildlife piccies, I'm disabled after a motorist ran a red light, resulting in my lower right leg requiring a major rebuild....

As for new to birding, don't worry about it, I've only been doing it just a shade over three years, and enjoyed every learning moment, and I'm still learning, with the help of the good people here, long with the web and books.

I'm not the best to advise you on a camera, depending on your skills and budget, I'm love my DSLR, there are some good bridge cameras out there, which may save you the hassle of flaffing around changing lenses.

You may find a good smart phone camera or compact will be ideal for you balcony photos just to get you started.

The best thing to do would be visit a good reputable camera store, have a look around, ask the staff some questions, check the costs out, and if you want to share your thoughts here before making the purchase, I know there will be some more than willing to help you.

I know, because I asked for help on what big lens to buy, and received a lot of good informative replies, which made purchasing easier, after trying out lenses.

If you intend to buy a DSLR, then you may see a kit purchase option, where you but the camera and select lenses, and possibly other items, like a bag. Often there are options, the only limit is your wallet.

As for skills, tips and tricks, again, there are many who would be happy to help,  or even reading some of trips out postings, sometimes tips and tricks are shared there.

It s a lovely community, and I'm happy to be among them all.

• Thank you for your advice Mike. I'm really glad I've found this hobby. It'll help me to relax and to understand the world of our feathered friends much better and to witness their amazing beauty and habits out there.

I've only been on here a couple of days now, and I have been made to feel welcome by al my fellow birders and the advice has been amazing.
    I'll certainly run the camera thing on here before I buy.

Cheers.

rich.
  • Unknown said:
    Thank you for your advice Mike. I'm really glad I've found this hobby. It'll help me to relax and to understand the world of our feathered friends much better and to witness their amazing beauty and habits out there.

I've only been on here a couple of days now, and I have been made to feel welcome by al my fellow birders and the advice has been amazing.
    I'll certainly run the camera thing on here before I buy.

Cheers.

rich.

You're welcome, and along with everyone else, look forward to your stories, and possibly photos in the future.

• Set the bird feeder up on the balcony and put some food in it with suet pellets, sunflower hearts and other seeds in together with a bowl of water. Can anyone advise how often to change the seeds and water?

Also motion wildlife cam arrived today so will be setting this up once sd card arrives.

Happy birding.

Rich.