Robin nest box

Hello

Does anyone know if a robin would use an open front nest box to roost in in winter?

Is on a post facing into leylandii a suitable place?

Read an article on here about protecting a robins best box with chicken wire but doesn’t explain how.

Thank you 

• Hello Lea, garden birds will use the nest boxes to roost in during the cold, wet, windy, snowy weather, so I would think that the Robin may use one as well. Have you just put the box up or has it been used for nesting? If it had been used for nesting they would know it was there, but I am unsure if it has just been put up, would they roost in it. Nest boxes should face north-north east for nesting to avoid the direct sun but I have read that robins like to have a hidden box in foilage/greenery. I have one on a tree that has been investigated but not so far used. What direction is the box facing, is it covered? Not sure regarding the chicken wire, this may be to protect bigger birds getting at the chicks when nesting. Chicken wire has different size mesh, so if this can be used, the correct size would be needed to avoid problems with the parents getting in and out to feed and the young ones leaving the nest. Sorry if I have not been of much help but we have a poster who has many robins in his garden and keeps us updated about them, so if he or others read this, hopefully they can help you out.

• Hello
    Thank you for replying.
    I’ve only just put the box up. I’m not sure of the direction like I was with nest boxes on my garage but it is sheltered all around and above and below by the conifers unlike the others. The reason I put it up was for roosting in cold weather really as the robin seems to nearly always be in the garden and conifers. The article said the chicken wire was to protect from cats and I see cats passing under the conifers but I don’t think they could climb conifers and I’ve never seen them try.