Neighbours want me to remove feeder

Hi everyone,

I've been feeding birds in my garden (using a squirrel proof cage feeder) for around 10 years. I have a large group of goldfinches, a pair of bull finches (now with 3 young ones), green finches, chafinches, various tits, robins and a few sparrows. I live in a building containing 4 flats.  We all have our own gardens - 2 at the front and 2 at the back. Mine is at the front. One of the neighbours at the back had building work done over the summer and since then there has been a problem with rats in the back gardens. Apparently when the pest controller was out he said that no one should be feeding birds and the neighbours want me to take my feeder down. We live in a terrace with no connection between the back and front gardens apart from  going through the house. I feel that's it's really unfair that I'm being asked take the feeder down when no rats have ever been seen in the front garden. One of the neighbours suggested that I take it down temporarily until the rats go away but I'm really afraid of the birds dying or going elsewhere and not coming back. What does everyone think I should do?

• You're very thoughtful. We bought our neighbour a Rat mesh circle from Amazon that encloses the seeds the birds reject. My husband removes it, scrapes out the mess from the grass and feeds it to local ducks so everyone's happy. It's very easy to take an arrogant solipsist view that opposing forces are idiots but much better i think to remain in ( or create ) a happy workable community. Bringing your feeder in at night seems terribly hard work and you might miss the early morning birds . The tray sounds great though.
  • Thanks to everyone their replies. I put the feeder back out this morning with the tray underneath and I've let the neighbours know that I'm going to take it down at night. One neighbour is still complaining and the others haven't responded. I'm finding it very stressful though! Not sure I can cope with feeling so unpopular. My stomach is churning and I'm afraid of bumping into any of the neighbours.