House Martin Nests

Hi all!

I have 2 nests *on* the top of my bedroom window, what I believe are house martins...I rent here, and moved away during lockdown this year for a few weeks, and when I came back they were there. Opening the window would destroy them.

I have left the window closed, with the blinds pulled, all year, so as to let them roost. It's been wonderful seeing them fly in and out from another window, and the chicks as they matured. However, I will move out soon, and if I leave them there, the landlords/agents or new tenants (who likely don't give a dang), will just open it and destroy the nests and maybe hurt any birds inside. I have read that they migrate to Africa and are typically leave in October.

If I want to avoid a bill for removing the nests, and ensure no birds are hurt, should I get rid of the nests when I vacate? I haven't seen any activity in at least 3 weeks, so hopefully I've done my bit and the chicks have matured and migrated away already... I would tap on the nests first to check if any birds are left before knocking them down, but they should be gone by now right? I don't like to do it, but I don't want to just leave them there in case the property is vacant for a few months, and they come back and then the new occupants hurt them when they open the window.

Any tips or advice appreciated!