Redwing in summer?

Hi folks - this is my first post on here...

I was out walking in parkland this afternoon and a Redwing hopped onto a path right in front of me. It sat a while then flew up into a tree and away. I got a decent long look at it. What's weird is I've never seen one at this time of year until today. This sighting was in the London Borough of Sutton - and I was sure they're a winter visitor this far South. Has anyone else seen Redwings in England at this time of year before now?

Thanks - Doug

• I've never seen a Redwing in summer in the UK only in Iceland. Are you confident with your ID because if so I would think it would be pretty rare sighting.

• Read on RSPB & Autumnwatch that a few pairs remain to breed but up in far reaches of Scotland!
  • I do know that there are a small population of nesting Redwing and Fieldfares in parts of Northern Scotland. But I’ve never heard of Redwings nesting in England. I might be wrong. There are also a small population of nesting pairs of Whooper Swans in Northern Scotland as well. In May 2019 when I was on my annual UK birdwatching holiday with my local RSPB Group from Newcastle Upon Tyne in the Outer Hebrides, we all saw a pair of Whooper Swans with young at a local reserve on the opening day of our holiday in the Outer Hebrides. Looking at the list of UK birds on the RSPB’s website it says there are an average of only 1-2 nesting pairs of fieldfares every year, an average of 13 pairs of nesting Redwing every year and an average of 23 pairs of nesting a Whooper Swans every year in the UK and all in parts of Northern Scotland. I’ve just checked those 3 bird species and distribution In the UK on the main RSPB website

• Hi - I was and am really surprised - and if I hadn't had such a good long clear look I'd be sure I was mistaken. It was only a few feet from me when it was on the path.
  • Me neither - I'm not aware of them being so far south at this time of year.