Fledgling learns to fly. Beautiful to see

Hi 

I have a nest just outside my bay window with fledgling blackbirds.

i have been monitoring them and checking they are ok.

the mother and father blackbird are very friendly and often visit me and 

stand about 6 ft away just watching the nest and making eye contact with me. They often come close and vocalise at me signalling that they need something.

at 6:00am this morning opened back door and mother and father blackbird were right at the step hopping up and down and vocalising loudly and  seemed to want my attention.

i looked to the left and the fledgling was stood on the patio with mother and father facing it. There was a brief silence and then the fledgling fluttered wings and took flight. 

mother and father immediately followed.

a short while later mother and father returned and sat on bird table facing me seemingly proud of the achievement.

most beautiful thing I have ever witnessed.

I have been out and installed a bird box for added protection for my feathered friends. 

kind Regards Jonathan 

• Lovely news Jonathan, hope you get to see your Blackbird family every day!

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• In reply to WendyBartter:

Thank you.

It’s quite exhausting making sure they are ok and keeping predators at bay.

We have cats next door and it’s a constant battle to keep the fledglings safe.

Mother and father are quite attentive and frequently see off the cats unbelievably.

Now they can fly they should be ok and with the addition of the bird box they should stay safe.

I’ll send photos of them as and when they pay me a visit.

Kind Regards Jonathan
  • Good to hear you're keeping an eye on safety Jonathan, look forward to seeing your pics!

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr