New arrivals in the garden

Hi everyone, I'm new to the forum so I hope my question is not too silly. 

We have a medium size back garden located in a town on the edge of the New Forest. We get lots of birds, nothing really exciting, sparrows, starlings, robins, finches, collared doves and lots and lots of wood pigeons.

However several days ago we had two new arrivals which have been regular visitors ever since. At first my daughter and I thought they were ordinary pigeons that are in the town centres etc but on closer inspection they look a bit different. The larger is of similar size and colour to a wood pigeon but has quite an elaborate black and white tail and an oily/tonic sheen to his neck. The other is smaller, dove size, and is dark brown with white speckles.

I have attached a picture which isn't great, but they are very timid and we can't get close at all. I was just wondering what type of pigeon they were if anyone could assist, even if they aren't unusual, they're still welcome in the garden. 

Thank you

• Hello Ann and welcome to the community. Looks like you have a pair of feral pigeons They are also called street pigeons or city pigeons. They are derived from domestic pigeons and have cross bred hence the sploggy plumage. Often seen flying about towns in small or large flocks with all the attendant mess they make.
  • Hi Ann, welcome to the forum. They look like Feral Pigeons to me. The one nearest the camera is a dark checker and the other is a mix of grizzle and pied. Very pretty bird.