Blue tits

Birdfeeders in our Glasgow garden were swarming with Blue tits until mid-May, but since then none!  Where have they gone, and why?

• They have gone about 20 mins down the motorway to my garden, why? Because they chose to nest in my trees Joy
    Joking aside John they will have been nesting and raising their chicks and they may have chose to nest somewhere well beyond your garden thats all. I am sure they will be back soon once the young has all fledged and they need some easy to find food .

Bluetits Diet

During summer, their diet comprises mainly of small insects, caterpillars, spiders and invertebrates such as millipedes. In urban and rural areas, they will continue to feed in gardens where food is provided. In the spring they will also feed on tree buds, often causing damage to fruit trees.

• Hi everyone, we love blue tits. My husband made a new bird box and yesterday to our joy, a blue tit spent the night in it. We like to believe it was the same blue tit who laid her eggs in our previous bird box, last spring. We read that blue tits often sleep in bird boxes during the winter months, but this is the first time we’ve seen one on camera. Hopefully our box will be a place where she can regularly shelter from the cold and hopefully will use it as a nesting box in the spring. Jeanette bird lover.
  • Hello everyone. I would like to update you regarding our blue tits. We were delighted when a female blue tit we called Marigold, along with her mate we called Milo, used our bird box for nesting purposes and produced nine eggs. Six of these eggs hatched. Sadly, shortly before they hatched, Milo deserted Marigold and she was left to deal with their chicks on her own. Marigold did her best to find food for them, but the strange May weather meant there was a shortage of grubs and caterpillars. This meant their chances of survival was poor. Sadly, all six chicks died within a few hours of each other. Marigold removed one of the dead chicks and the others remained in the nest box. For a short time, Marigold still came into the nest box to incubate her three remaining eggs and was also seen bringing food to her dead chicks. This was heartbreaking to see. Once Marigold accepted that her chicks were dead and there was no hope for her remaining eggs, she abandoned the nest box altogether. The loss of the chicks and Marigold’s sadness, affected us deeply and we went through a period of grief. However, we now have some good news. This week we saw at our bird feeders, two adult blue tits and four baby blue tits. Somewhere in our area, a blue tit couple had successfully produced four beautiful chicks and had chosen our feeders to take them to. Since then, the chicks and their parents, have been using our feeders several times a day and this has brought us much joy. It seems every cloud does have a silver lining. Hopefully, next season will be a more successful time for blue tits. Regards Jeanette bird lover.