Too close to nature.

Hi, this is my first post and I'm not entirely sure this is relevant to bird watching. 

As a regular visitor to Budby South forest, Nottinghamshire RSPB reserve I'm often rewarded by spotting Crossbills, tree pippets, woodlarks etc. Unfortunately on my last couple of visits I've  had to deal with the sight of a nude gentleman walking through the heathland and scrub in nowt but his trainers and back pack. I know getting back to nature is a good thing but without your kecks? Come on! There are often youngsters and lone female birders at this reserve and I'm pretty sure that's not what they want to see. I've challenged him on his behaviour but he totally ignores me and goes on his way. Where does the law stand on this and has anyone else visiting Budby witnessed the lone naturist?

• Go to Police Station immediately with your pics!
  • I think it may be the famous ......  either Stephen Gough  aka   "The Naked Rambler"  or one of the numerous other people who is sadly follow in his footsteps so to speak.        I have a walking friend who has encountered this chap on one of her mammoth walks when she was with her friend.        You can google The Naked Rambler for more info and arrests  !    As you say, not nice for ladies or families to suddenly encounter this type of thing. 

• Hes doing nothing wrong, unlike you taking photos of people with out their consent.
    Being naked in public is NOT an offence.
    You are the only one breaking the law. Perhaps this chap should report you for invading his privacy.
    Get a life.
  • Blimey, it's taken a while for you to bother to comment. Maybe we shouldn't be the ones who need to get a life?
  • Being somewhat reluctant to encourage Dutch (who looks like he/she is just spoiling for a fight and to continue their rhetoric)  I will just quote:  

It is an offence under  Section 5 of the Public Order Act 1986 which prohibits “disorderly behaviour within the hearing or sight of a person likely to be caused harassment, alarm or distress”

and it is NOT an offence to take photographs in a public place without the persons consent unless, for instance,  the photo is considered to be indecent;    if Dutch considers the photograph to be taken unlawfully then in this case it would be under that banner of "indecency" .........which is clearly opposite to what Dutch is saying.     As for invasion of privacy,   Peter's photo would not be considered "an invasion of privacy" under the current law as he did not confront the man nor impede him in any way to take the photo which was in a public place.       I will not be responding again to this thread as there is no need to, the facts are clear.      

• library.college.police.uk/.../nudity.pdf

As stated previously. public nudity is not an offence, see link above which is the latest guide lines for the police to follow, not some antiquated version that others quote.

If Peter wishes to take photos of naked men then he'd be advised to ask permission.
    At least he achieved his 5 mins of fame after informing the Sun newspaper.

I wonder what the police actually told him when he went out of his way to report a guy for minding his own business.
  • Hey Duck, FYI I never sold anything to The Sun or any other publication, I was asked for my opinion by a fellow rspb member who happened to be an independent reporter. Who he passed the story to is his business. The photo in question was taken in such a way that the individual's identity or genitalia were not shown. I personally have no problem with nudity, if you want to get your tackle out do it in your garden not in a place where women and children are present. As for "getting a life", I have one and it doesn't involve scrolling through posts from months ago. Move on.
    As you were.
  • I never said you sold it. But you took the photo, Why? My name is not Duck either. by the way.
    We all have a naked body if you cant handle yours's that's your concern, no need to take photos of those that do not have your concerns.
    I have been walking this area for many years and the number of single females and children that I pass are few and far between, but that's irrelevant the guy you indiscriminately photographed was breaking no laws, as I guess you now know.
    What did the police tell you when you reported it? Pray tell.
    I only challenge your post all be it a little late granted, because no one else did, its easy to to ridicule without understanding.
    And once again no laws are being broken, as once again I suspect you now know.