Bird Call Identification

Hello, I was wondering if anyone would be able to help?

I heard a strange bird call about a month ago whilst out walking my dog and thought it would be interesting to find out what it was given how unusual it sounded.

After a quick Google I came across the lyre bird and it sounds identical to the one I heard! The only thing is that I live in northwest England and these birds are found in Australia from what I gathered. 

Now we get some pretty rare birds here as we live by marshes but I find it hard to believe that this was this bird I heard. Could anyone suggest a similar sounding bird- it sounded very much like R2D2 in bird form! 

Unfortunately I couldn't see it, only heard it out on the marshes.

Thanks in advance,

Amelia

• Hi Amelia,

Wow, a bird that sounds like a cross between a lyrebird and R2D2. I think that's a first. LOL

Given the habitat I'll make a wild guess and suggest it might have been a Lapwing. Have a listen to this.

Patrik Åberg, XC27060. Accessible at www.xeno-canto.org/27060

Anything like what you heard?

• Thats the bird I heard yesterday, I thought it sounded like a guinea pig! I'm in West Berkshire. I wondered what it was :)
  • Haha yes that's the one! Thank you Tony! I'd never heard it before so it's nice to know.
    Thanks for your help :)
  • I had a flash of inspiration when I listened to some YouTube videos of R2D2. Nice to solve two ID's in one go - made my day!
  • Haha, and there was me thinking no-one would know what on earth I was going on about. Impressed you were able to identify it given what you had to work with!
    Have a lovely Easter,
    Amelia