I saw a mysterious bird - can anyone help identify?

I made this account for the sole purpose of identifying this bird because I'm on a investigative roll and have gone too far now! I can't seem to find anything that matches it on the RSPB bird identifier, but here is a vague description I hope will help:

- About the size of a large crow with large wings

- Seen in some small woodland/large group of trees near a fairly busy road (there's also a stream nearby). West Midlands area.

- Feathers were deep red, with streaks of blue, brown and white (very colourful)

- Fairly long tail (similar to a magpie?)

- Didn't seem to be a bird of prey as had a long(ish) face

From my investigation the closest I can get to is a bullfinch but that's not big enough or long enough to fit what I saw.

I hope someone can help me identify this bird! 

And no, unfortunately I didn't hear it as there were many other birds singing around so didn't have time to identify its song :(

• I can't think of anything matching your exact description but larger bird than a bullfinch,   tail feather length similar to magpie,   woodland bird, reddish, blue, brown, white colours,  my best guess would be a Jay like the one below …………..   

• This does look very similar to what I saw! Maybe it was a Jay....although the one I saw looked more red...

Thanks for the help :)
  • Sometimes the plumage colours can vary slightly,  during the breeding season which is now starting males will often show bolder, deeper colours and also birds plumage can look different in changing light.        For instance, this Jay is standing in sunlight so the "red" looks a bit deeper.