Bird Box in mahogany

After many successful years as a home for blue tits my old bird box fell apart. The woodworm didn’t help. So I made a new one out of mahogany from an old plank in the garage. I followed the RSPB design with a 25mm entrance hole. The instance it was fixed in place of the old box a blue tit came to investigate. However it soon went and no bird appears to have been back since. 

Do birds not like the scent of newly sawn hardwood? Is the entrance hole too deep - the wood is nearly 25mm thick?

Any experienced  suggestions appreciated.

• Hi SingD, I would suggest being a new box it may just take the birds longer to get used to it being there, even though it is in the same position as the old successful nest-box and as long as it is raw wood (ie., not pre-varnished or painted) then I don't see why you couldn't use mahogany wood just as successfully. . Although the size of nest hole for blue tit is suggested 25mm latterly I opted for 28mm entrance as minimum when buying new boxes and added a 28mm metal hole plate to the entrance which will protect the hole being pecked at and widened by any wood-be predators such as G.S.Woodpeckers.. If the dimensions are roughly what are in the guidelines and similar to your old nesting box (even 25mm hole) then I think it may be just a matter of giving the birds more time to get used to the new box in situ although some blue tits will have already chosen a box by now; they are quite fussy little blighters when choosing and will often revisit a box many times before finally deciding to give it a go ! Fingers crossed and after all your hard work on this lovely sounding new nest box I hope you have some takers for it.
  • Thank you, Hazel; much appreciated. I'll play the waiting game; it's a bit late to modify the box this spring.

SingD