Jay behaviour

Got a Jay visiting, sometimes two. Lands on bird table then flies to shed to look at window. Spends 2 - 3 minutes doing this and regularly returns.  Never noticed this behaviour before. Any ideas?

• Hi Viv, the only thing I can think of is that they are looking at their reflection in the window. Quite a lot I read about different birds doing this at Patio Windows or sitting on window ledges, even read about birds sitting on car wing mirrors and viewing themselves! Others may have different ideas.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

• Hi Viv, Welcome to the Forum. Does the Jay peck at its reflection? I've seen a few birds who seem to think that their reflection is a rival and they attack it.

Kind regards, 

Ann

• In reply to Gardenbirder:

Yes, the Jay taps the window. Thought I would try and cover the window to stop the reflection as it appears to be getting frustrated.
  • In reply to Catlady:

Yes, it would be able to see it's reflection. I have never seen a bird behave like this. Going to try and cover the window as I am worried it might get hurt.
    New to bird watching. I am lucky as I get quite a few visitors to my garden but this behaviour was new to me.
  • Hi Viv, Best of luck with covering the window. Please let us know how you get on and what the Jay does next. I love this Forum and have learned so much since joining some years ago. The people here are a lovely and helpful bunch and sooner or later someone will attempt to answer your questions. We can also get a bit silly now and then but it is all in the cause of enjoying each other's sightings and photos as well as enjoying each other's sense of humour.

Kind regards, 

Ann

• I think I shall enjoy being part of this forum.