Research

Hello everyone,

I am a 4th year student and need to think of a subject for my dissertation. I am particularly interested in birds but struggling to come up with a suitable project. Any tips from anyone? I would like it to relate to environmental management or EIAs but any suggestions would be appreciated!

• We all hear regular depressing stories about how climate changes are pushing out species, so how about looking at what birds, insects or mammals we may acquire in the UK in coming years and how current management practices may need to change to accommodate them?
    For example, a couple of years ago the UK's first Purple Swamphen turned up at Minsmere. If they became residents, what changes to reedbed management practices might be necessary to ensure they flourish?
    Lots of habitat types to choose from, plenty of wildlife types to select as your focus in that area I'd imagine
  • I understand EIA is Environmental Impact Assessment, or something like that.

I've heard it a lot around the various vocal calls to support HS2, and house building on green fields, while quietly demonising livestock farming!

There are lots of topics to choose from, however, I'm deeply concerned for mans hunger for land to build on and what I fear is negative reporting of how things are impacting the environment to take away the actual things not reported, which do have an impact.

The older generations among us will call it propaganda, the younger ones may know it as fake news, that channel peoples opinions to suit the the rich people and land owners.