Spotted a fire crest

Hello everyone 

me and my husband have just returned from a weekend in Chester whilst there we had a nice walk round the old castle walls and on north side of the city where the canal locks are is where we spotted a very small bird with a very bright orange stripe on top of its head it was feeding and fluttering around on a fur like tree we both stood very quietly and watch it for about a minute before it flew off following a  flock of long tailed tits. To begin with we both thought it was a gold crest which we had seen in our garden last summer but it was only when we looked online and did a bit of research we found it to be a male fire crest. Knowing that these birds are very rare it has prompted me to post this and join this forum. I feel so lucky to have seen a gold crest in my garden but seeing this was just the icing on the cake. It was just a case of being in the right place at the right time and Chester is a lovely place to visit.

• I agree with Robbo's assessment. The standout feature on a firecrest is the white eye stripe which is so bold that you can practically see it from space. ( I may have exaggerated slightly there), I saw my first firecrest in France and didn't really notice the colour of its crest. I was immediately dumbfounded at what appeared to be a goldcrest wearing clown makeup.