Olive trees

Does anyone know if garden birds eat the olives from trees - I have 3 in my garden that are full of fruit

• Hi Jane welcome to the community.

A quick google found this though it is from New Zealand but does mention introduced birds which happen to be ours

If the tree does form fruit then the most likely culprit is birds eating the fruit. A wide range of introduced birds are known to eat olives including blackbirds, song thrushes, starlings, doves and mynahs, and it's likely many native birds feed on them, too.

You may want to go to your profile page by clicking your name and just putting a name rather than email address.

My Flickr photos

• In reply to Alan.:

Thank you Alan. I wondered if they would be too hard and bitter.

Regarding changing my profile - I’m not sure where to find my name to click on?
  • Just click on your name that is in your reply box or look top right for the small icon, click that and look for edit profile on the right hand side of the page, then right at the top you can edit your name..then save the changes.

My Flickr photos

• Ok thanks - just testing now
  • That's it well done and for getting a profile pic up so quick lol.
    The Olives may not seem bitter to birds and I'm assuming as they get older they will start to break down and get softer.

My Flickr photos

• In reply to Alan.:

Apparently I just found out that they swallow them whole. I have also just read that they may be eaten in late winter after they have fallen to the ground and been softened by hard frosts.

I would be very interested to hear from other people who have seen birds eating olives from the trees in their gardens in the UK