Water in freezing weather

I live in NE Scotland, I’d like to know how far garden birds will travel for water when weather is freezing. I have regularly put out water over the years for the birds but never seen one using it. We have a burn and a river approximately 200-300 metres away. Would they use these? Many thanks in anticipation 

• Hello Perchard,   I would say that the birds would use the local burn/river as it is still vital for them to have access to water all year round.    This LINK will give you more information.   Regarding you not seeing any birds using the water you have placed out for them could be to do with where you have placed it or what type of container/dish you are using …... they need to feel safe whilst bathing and drinking.      

• Many thanks for your reply Haze, Jill
  • My Sparrows & Starlings here have an ice-cream tub on table next to seed dishes plus a new free-standing birdbath which they use occasionally but still prefer to drink from goldfish pond, even attempting to bathe there but much more difficult since the lily pads died back!
  • Perchard said:

I live in NE Scotland, I’d like to know how far garden birds will travel for water when weather is freezing. I have regularly put out water over the years for the birds but never seen one using it. We have a burn and a river approximately 200-300 metres away. Would they use these? Many thanks in anticipation 

The only thing I would add, you may find that some birds are taking some of your water, but the quantity may so small it isn't obvious, with the added boring task of wait and watching....

Depending on your budget, you could try and set up a garden/nature cam, which generally are weatherproof, set it so the cam is looking at the water source and see what images it captures, or even video.

You may even see some other interesting sights, particularly at night.

Good luck with your observations, don't give up, keep putting that water out for now, you may just see something